10 Tips To Keep You Healthy Because The Outbreak Of Germs Is Literally Inevitable

There is a high chance that if you are reading this you are or have already been sick this school year.

170

I have been in school for two weeks now, and so far the experience has been amazing! Great friends, fun classes, AMAZING food at the dining halls, and of course the spread of bacteria and highly contagious colds.

That took a harsh turn.

But it's true. This is the time of year where everyone gets sick. You are away from school for about three months, and then you all are put into one building with thousands of other infected humans, which in the end leads to the spread of germs. It is inevitable, and unless your immune system has the superpowers of Superman, you don't have a chance of not getting sick. Right now I'm battling through a what I believe is to be a sinus infection. I did not go to the doctor's office on campus because 1) I have no idea where it is and 2) I feel like I got hit by a truck every time I wake up, so I really don't feel like walking a lot. It all started out with my throat feeling extremely sore, and then gradually my nose started to get congested. You should see my trash can in my dorm room, it is FILLED with tissues.

So why am I making this article about germs? Well, there are a couple of reasons as to why I am typing this. 1) Everyone should be aware of how to stay healthy this time of year 2) I really do not have another topic for this week and 3) Being sick is all anyone is talking about in my friend group so that's what you all are going to get.

I'm going to give you TEN different ways to make sure you stay healthy during this season so that you do not receive any germs nor spread them to other people.

1. WASH YOUR HANDS

I feel like this is a very simple concept. You should have learned this back in preschool. Always use soap, use cold water to kill the germs, and take your time! Seriously just wash your hands. Especially after using the bathroom. Listen, no one wants to come in contact with a person who does not wash their hands after going to the bathroom. Your hands contain more germs than a toilet seat does. So imagine those two being combined! Disgusting.

2. COVER YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU COUGH/SNEEZE

If your school didn't show you those ridiculous tutorials on how to cover a sneeze, then you were failed as a child. Seriously, no one wants feel the warm texture of mucus or germs blown on them when you cough and/or sneeze. That is probably one of my worst pet peeves. DON'T COUGH IN YOUR HANDS! That is unsanitary and just completely wrong. That is exactly how diseases and viruses are spread. Do the Superman sweep! When in doubt that is the best move to do when you cough or sneeze.

3. GET REST

Sleeping is one of the best ways to regenerate your body. I get it, you're busy with school work and extracurriculars after school. Taking a 30 minute nap or getting to bed early will help you feel better. If your body feels tired, then it won't be able to fight off the germs infecting it. Common sense. Don't stay up late stressing about an assignment or watching YouTube videos (guilty of that) because your body will not have the time to get stronger in order for you to feel better.

4. EAT HEALTHY FOODS

I'm guilty of this. Ever since I came to college I have been eating so unhealthily and it is not okay for my body. I try my best to, but if I see a grilled cheese with fries, you bet I am going to get two plates of those for my meal. No but in all honesty, eat some fruits and vegetables. It will not kill you to eat a small bowl of grapes or eat an apple on your way to class. Eating healthy gives your body the nutrients to fight off germs to maintain a healthy immune system.

5. DRINK TEA

Okay, I am not a huge fan of tea, but it helps so much. If you have a bad cough or sore throat, tea is 100% the way to go. Suck it up and drink the tea. I promise you it will make you feel better in the long run. They literally make a specific kind of tea for the throat. I totally forget the brand name, but you could probably go to any grocery store and find a box of tea bags for your throat.

6. HUMIDIFIERS ARE YOUR BEST FRIEND

I cannot tell you how many times I have used a humidifier to feel better. Plug that sucker in at night and it'll make the air less dry. It cleanses your respiratory system and truly I believe it works. You can even buy a tiny one for about fifteen dollars at a pharmacy store that you can use whenever. You fill it up with water, and put your mouth over the device and use it for as long as you want. I use that whenever I have a bad cold and I love it. HIGHLY recommend this utility.

7. STAY HOME

Dude, if you're sick just stay in bed. This obviously ties in with my tip on getting rest, but if you're sick why go out in the world where there are more germs? You don't want to get more sick and you don't want to get anyone else sick. This is basically common courtesy. Take the day off of school or work, and rest up!

8. HYDRATE OR DYDRATE

Water. H20. Aqua. You need it to survive. Stay hydrated! Water clears out all the yucky stuff in your body, and it is good for you. Also, your body is made up of a lot of water so you might as well fuel that up. Always have a water bottle on you and fill it up when it gets empty. Water = good. No water = More sickness for you.

9. SEE A DOCTOR

Set up an appointment and get those meds to feel better! The amount of Claritin and other medicine I have taken the past few days is ridiculous, but I am feeling better! If you think you have a small cold and you want to get medicine at your local pharmacy, do it. It is worth the money and you obviously want to feel better right? If you feel like you have something serious, schedule an appointment at the doctor's office to see what is wrong. It is worth the trip.

10. EXERCISE

Ew. Working out. I know, not a lot of people like to do this, but it helps! I'm going to the gym with a few friends after I finish typing this because I know it will help me feel better. You don't have to go to the gym for hours on end, but getting outside for a walk, or going to lift weights creates a stronger body for yourself. Even if it is just thirty minutes a day, exercising can help you maintain a healthy immune system.

I really hope these tips help those of you who are sick. If you haven't gotten sick yet, don't worry you definitely will. And when that happens, come check out this article again for some healthy tips! Really though, try to stay healthy and clean the next few weeks. Colds and viruses are going around, and you don't want to get caught in the middle of that. Stay healthy!