How To Prepare To Negotiate Your Salary

How To Prepare To Negotiate Your Salary

Don't just accept what you're offered -- negotiate if you can.

106
How To Prepare To Negotiate Your Salary
Photo by rawpixel on Unsplash

Income is a very important thing. And even if you're in college, you should be thinking about your job prospects after college, where you'd like to live, and even what kind of income will support the lifestyle you want to have. Compensation is one of the biggest motivators for working people, so never discount its importance right from the start of your career -- it builds off that initial base you start with.

Let's be honest: Sometimes you have to just take the job you're offered (and whatever salary comes with it). However, if you are able to ask for a higher salary than what's presented, you should. There are external circumstances that play into this and sometimes an employer will say there isn't any room to negotiate. In most cases, though, you can. Here's how to prepare for that conversation.

1. Look up the market rate for the role in your area.

This is the most basic form of preparation for negotiating your salary and may be the most important. In order to know what you 'should' be paid, you should start by seeing how other companies in your area pay someone in the same position. It's even better if you can look at specific competitors that are very similar to your company, then see how they'd pay you if you worked there instead.

Check out Glassdoor or Salary.com to get information about the going rate for your job, then use that as evidence for why you deserve a higher salary than what was offered to you.

2. Put together a list of tangible ways you add value to the company.

Alright, so you've shown what a typical person earns in your role locally. Now, you need to show how you'd be an asset to the company and why you deserve the higher salary. You're not just a person filling a spot on the organizational chart, you're an addition to the team. Make an argument that they can't ignore.

Think of skills you have that the team currently lacks, or projects you've done that show you can hit the ground running when you start, or even ideas you have for ways to improve efficiency or efficacy on the job. Any way you can show your employer how much of an asset you'll be will help your negotiation.

3. During the negotiation, don’t say ‘yes’ to things if you aren’t satisfied.

These types of conversations can be uncomfortable, especially if it's the first time you're going through it. So it can be tempting to agree with whatever your supervisor tells you in the moment in order to avoid confrontation. As much as you can, fight the urge to do this because you'll end up regretting it.

Not everything has to be determined in that conversation, either. If they're digging in their heels, you can say you need time to consider what they're offering and that you'll get back to them in a few days. During this time you can weigh your options, plus it may motivate them to come around on the increased salary request.

4. If all else fails, negotiate something else.

Sometimes negotiations related to salary go nowhere. Or, they go part-way there, with a little salary bump that's not quite what you wanted. In these cases you still have options. You can negotiate a variety of other things that either directly impact your compensation or aid in your workplace well-being.

Here's a non-exhaustive list of other things you can ask for: additional PTO days, remote work flexibility, a performance bonus, a relocation bonus (if you're moving), transportation benefits, and tuition reimbursement.