How To Move Forward After The 2016 Election

"No matter what happens, the sun will rise in the morning."

6
SantaBanta

We can all agree that this election season has been anything but enjoyable.

Of course, it all came crumbling down when Trump became president last Tuesday. I know I'm not alone when I say I went through an array of emotions when learning the news. First of all was disbelief. I couldn't believe a closed-minded bully with no political experience whatsoever had gotten this far and actually won. Second of all, was sadness. I was sad that we had a chance to make history by having the first female president, proving that women are equal and deserve the same respect as men. Third, I was scared; scared of people's reactions, scared of the new policies that might come with Trump's legislation, scared of the changes it might bring. And finally, I was angry. Angry that people let this happen. Angry that people could support such ideologies. Angry of the hatred I saw people bring out.

Then I realized something, or better my mom and one of my professors made me realize something. Yes, this sucks.

Yes, Trump should not be president. Nevertheless, he is because that's what people voted, and that's how a democracy works. I know the system isn't perfect and many people have a problem with the Electoral College, rightfully so, but people are lucky to get a say in who serves their country. This is a privilege many countries don't have. We still have to accept the outcome, and not judge those who voted differently. We can't afford to hate those who have different opinions and therefore voted differently. We can't contribute in the hatred that is tearing this country apart. We, as young people, have to spread love, kindness and hope. Just because Trump is president doesn't mean we still can't fight for what we believe in.

I'm not American, so maybe I can't fully understand what people are going through. Yet, this election hurt me too. However, I still love this country and everything it's given to me and my family. Though times are tough, I still have faith in it. A wall has been built before us (figuratively speaking), but I refuse to stand here and feel sorry for myself. Instead as a collective we have to find a way around the obstacle. I call all genders, races, social classes and all different communities to come together and help each other because that is what makes America great, and we don't need and orange man child to do anything that will rob us from that.

Like Obama said: