How To Manage Your Studying As Told By Student-Athletes

Student-athletes aren't the only ones with busy schedules. Their tips can help you too.

In today’s fast-paced world, it can be tough for most people to manage their time efficiently.

This can become even more difficult when you are a collegiate student-athlete. Up to 40 hours every week are designated strictly to the athlete’s sport. Then they must go to class and still find time to study and have some sort of social life.

Here are some time management and study tips from an advisor who works strictly with student-athletes and, also, a former student-athlete who graduated and is currently in graduate school pursuing a career in physical therapy.

1. Fill in blocks of time for studying. Holly Kerstner, an academic advisor for Oakland University student-athletes, advises her athletes to look at what blocks of time are filled each day for class or practice and then fill in the available time slots with studying.
  2. Break time into smaller slots. “I also remind students to break down time slots into smaller, more manageable time frames,” Kerstner said. For example, if a student allows a two-hour time block for studying, they should focus on 30 minutes of one subject, 30 minutes of another, take a break and then two additional 30 minute slots on the remaining subject areas. This will help the student not get too bogged down with one subject.
  3. Get ahead. Brittany Prior, a former Oakland University softball player, is currently working on her doctorate of physical therapy degree at Central Michigan University. She said that being a student-athlete taught her a lot of different ways to manage her studies. “Stay ahead on your studying so that you are not cramming for tests a couple days before,” Prior said. “Also, learn the material so that you can apply it in the future. Do not just memorize the material for the exam and then forget it.” This may mean spending 30 minutes or so every day after the class going over the material that was discussed that day. Designate more time if the material is particularly challenging.
  4. Write it down. Write down everything that you need to do that day. Do not think that there simply is not enough time in the day. Use a planner or your phone to plan out your day so you can check something off when you have completed it.

Non-student-athletes can also benefit from these tips. Countless students work while attending school and that can make their schedules just as demanding as a student-athlete’s.

Other Tips From Holly Kerstner

• During breaks from studying, add something that will increase your energy to get on to the next task.
    • I.e. eat, take a walk, listen to music, talk to a friend
    • Activities like these will allow you to gain the energy back before continuing to study.
  • Student-athletes can schedule a meeting with Kerstner whenever they need to go over scheduling or time management tips.
  • Students who don’t have an advisor specifically for them can contact the First Year Advising Center for help with scheduling and time management as well.