How To Make The Perfect Cup Of Tea

How To Make The Perfect Cup Of Tea

Five easy steps to your new favorite beverage.

20
How To Make The Perfect Cup Of Tea
Katie Steininger

Tea is one of the most important things ever, period. OK, now that that’s out of the way, I’d like to tell you how to make a cup of tea so good it will actually make you cry tears of joy. Are you ready for this life-changing event? Of course you’re not. Let’s begin.

1. The tea.

Repeat after me: There is only loose-leaf. Bagged tea is nothing. There is only loose-leaf. Other than that important directive, there is really no right or wrong when it comes to tea. Looking for caffeine? Straight black tea is your best bet. Try a nice English Breakfast, or Darjeeling if you want to pamper yourself. Health nut? Green is the way to go. If you’re prepared for an adventure, Genmaicha is strange but highly recommended. In the mood for something spicy? Chai will suit you perfectly. Want to sleep? Chamomile. Herbal teas (technically tisanes, because they don’t contain the actual tea plant) have a range of tastes and characteristics. There’s something to suit everyone. But for the love of all that is holy, please don’t buy Lipton.

2. The water.

On the packaging for your tea of choice it should tell you what temperature to bring the water to. However, it’s usually safe to bring your eight ounces to a boil in your stovetop or electric kettle. Keep in mind that the temperature of the water will affect the steeping time and ultimately the flavor of your tea, but 212 degrees Fahrenheit should do the trick.

3. The steep.

Different types of tea take different amounts of time to get that perfect flavor. Too little time, and you’re not letting your tea live to its full potential. Too much time, and your tea will most likely be bitter. For green tea, the most temperamental type, two to three minutes will suffice. Black tea can take three to four. If the tea is herbal, you can leave the steeper in till next week if you want, though by that time it will probably be cold. Fair warning. Once you’re familiar with tea, you should be able to tell when your tea is ready by the its color. But until then, the above guidelines will serve you well.

4. The cream and sugar.

I never put cream or sugar in my tea because I have a personal vendetta against sweet tea. However, there are some people who appreciate these things. While it is up to personal taste, there are a couple tips and tricks. With black tea, as it is the most similar to coffee, milk and sugar is socially acceptable. People might look at you funny if you put it in your herbal or (heavens forbid) green tea. Herbal tea is generally augmented with honey. (Pro tip: if you have a cold, the combination of honey and hot liquid will soothe your throat right up.)

5. The payoff.

Now look at you. You’ve made the perfect cup of tea. Congratulations. If you don’t like what you taste, take heart. With all of the teas out there, you’re sure to find something you like eventually if you keep trying.