How Making College Friends Is Easy

7 Reasons Why Making Friends In College Is Easier Than Making Friends In High School

Dorms are cesspools of potential friends.

36
Megan Carmen

For all incoming first-year college students, here's the thing: making friends in college is easy.

If you ask me, it is much easier than making them in high school actually. High school tries to jam people into categories like the jocks and the geeks, the band nerds and the teachers' pets. However, college campuses are way too big to even attempt this. Now that you're a college student you should take advantage of the potential your new college life holds for you. This is your opportunity to meet bunches of new people and make lots of new friends, and everyone is looking to do this.

Everyone coming into college is going to be desperate to make new friends, which is why doing exactly that is so easy to do.

1. You don't have any obligation to hang out with the "popular kids" because there are no "popular kids" really, not in college. Everyone at college starts on the same baseline of social status, which is a pretty low line as you start out. You have the freedom to hang out with whoever you want, so REJOICE. 

2. The cliques that DO exist are usually clubs or organizations that you are able to join by choice based on the things you like. You'll probably try and join way too many of these opening weekend, and ignore the emails you get from clubs for months after. 

3. Most people are forced to live with a roommate, which forces you from the get-go to socialize with SOMEONE. Even if you don't become best friends, odds are you will at least be civil acquaintances which is a good start. 

4. Dorms/residence halls are literally cesspools of stressed, terrified freshmen. People tend to bond over this stress that they are all under, and I think it is a GREAT way to meet your new best friends. 

5. There are SO MANY MORE people at your college than there was ever at your high school, which means more people to meet and become friends with. No more friendships with people out of convenience only. 

6. A lot of the classes you will be taking are determined by your major which I'm sure is determined by your interests. Therefore, you will be in a lot of classes with people that share your common interests AKA potential friends. 

7. Everyone is nervous going into college. Everyone wants to make new friends. EVERYONE feels the same as you do. So, just start a conversation with someone, knock on your neighbor's door, join a club or two or twelve opening weekend. Welcome to college, folks, where no one knows what to do, just like you don't. So, make some friends.