7 Super Simple Fat-Loss Tricks Anybody Can Follow

It's only as difficult as you make it.
652

We all have different reasons for wanting to lose weight, particularly fat. For some of us, it's part of a long-term weight loss plan to look and feel better. For others, it's to trim up and get their desired summer body. Regardless of your goals, fat loss doesn't have to be made difficult.

Disclaimer: I am not a registered dietitian, and if you have any health concerns with new diets, you should consult a certified R.D. to be sure what you're doing is safe for your body!

1. Water is your best friend

SO. MANY. PEOPLE. DON'T. DRINK. ENOUGH. WATER. Aside from being essential for your body functions, hydration affects your mood and appetite. I begin my day with a tall glass of water. At every meal, when I'm trying to shred, I drink a glass of water before I eat. You don't have to fill up on it, but drinking some water can save you a metric ton of calories in the long run on appetite suppression.

2. Intermittent Fasting

There's a lot of backlash against fasting, but understand this — fasting doesn't mean starving. Dealing with a little discomfort goes a long way, but NEVER starve your body. Don't let fancy terms overcomplicate things. Intermittent fasting (IF) is simply not eating during a specific time so that you can eat less food overall even with bigger meals.

The simplest way to do this-- skip breakfast. Most people in college do this anyways or just opt for coffee because we are up until 1:00 a.m. and sleep until 9:00 — 10:00 a.m. I do this during a cut and eat two nutrient-dense meals (plenty of protein, carbs, essential veggies, etc.).

3. Protein Shakes

Protein shakes are the bee's knees. You don't have to be a crazy bodybuilder to drink protein shakes. Protein is the most satiating macronutrient, so it leaves you feeling fuller, longer. The easiest low-calorie protein shake: ice, a scoop of (good tasting) protein powder, half a cup of almond milk, then blend. Eat it in between meals to lower your appetite and eat less long term. Start throwing in more protein and ingredients and you can have it as a meal replacer or low-cal breakfast!

4. Avoid Weekend Binging

Fat loss is easy: calorie deficits. That doesn't mean you should starve yourself. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself. But, whatever measures you take to cut calories, stay consistent with them. As the great Jordan Syatt says, track your calories and be consistent because real results take a long time. (Also, I am not sponsored or endorsed by Jordan but his page and advice are phenomenal and I 10/10 would recommend following him @syattfitness).

5. Weight Training and Cardio

Cardio burns calories. You need to decrease calories to lose weight. Simple. Working out also burns calories, makes you stronger, and you'll also like be 467x sexier. Whatever you do, do it and do it well. Even the smallest effort is a change in the right direction.

6. Stay effin' consistent!

Being about that #FitLife is cool — until you go out and binge drink the entire next week. The beautiful thing about staying consistent is you can enjoy everyday things and still achieve your goals. Going out for the night, eating out with your friends, and anything in between can be done without making your mind and body feel like garbage IF you are consistent with your weight loss efforts.

7. Control your portions, don't let them control you!

It's not against the law to go out to eat when you're trying to lose weight. But no, that doesn't mean you should order the quadruple stack megaburger with extra cheese and a double side of fries. Go out with your friends. Enjoy your food. Eat some extra calories. But if you can, be mindful of what you eat — opt for healthier, lower calories options or split an entree with a friend if it's something you just HAVE to have. Back to Jordan Syatt: you're only one bite from being back on track.

Stay grinding, my people.