How To Handle A Panic Attack

14 Ways To Gain Control During A Panic Attack

Anxiety is difficult, but it can be manageable.

199

I started having panic attacks when I was in 4th grade, without knowing what they were. I remember vividly not being able to breathe and thinking my world was ending — a true panic attack. Nine years later, I decided that my anxiety was out of hand, so I went to see a psychiatrist. She diagnosed me with a generalized anxiety disorder, something I had been dealing with for a while.

Now, I am on medication and have learned many coping mechanisms, but panic attacks still strike me every so often and they are not fun. Here are some things that I do when a panic attack sneaks up on me. While I am not a psychologist, these little tricks have definitely helped me and I would recommend them if you find yourself facing anxiety and panic attacks.

Write out a list of things you can control

Sounds weird, right? It actually helps. People with anxiety tend to worry about everything that is out of their control, and tend to lose focus on the things they can control. The one that always helps me is reminding myself that even if I can't control the problem or situation, I CAN control how I react to it.

Take a few deep, cleansing breaths

All of you who have anxiety are probably rolling your eyes right now, but this is a common anxiety-relieving tactic for a reason. There are even apps that help you guide your breathing in case it feels too overwhelming without prompts.

Draw

You don't have to be the next Van Gogh to sit down and take a pencil to paper. Drawing is a great way to relieve stress and is honestly extremely calming.

Write out your feelings

Maybe this helps me a lot because I'm a writer, but writing down how I feel helps me sort it out. Thoughts and emotions can seem really daunting in your head and sometimes organizing them on paper can make them seem a little less stressful.

Listen to music

There are so many happy, upbeat playlists on Spotify that can put anyone in a good mood. Grab your phone, pop in your AirPods and relax.

Watch your favorite show

I am sometimes the kind of person who likes to distract myself from my anxiety rather than face it. While that might not always be the best option, it can help during a difficult time. Funny shows like "Friends" or "How I Met Your Mother" always put a smile on my face.

Scroll through your social media feeds

Sometimes when my anxiety is bugging me, I like to adventure through the Explore page on Instagram and watch satisfying videos or find some relatable and funny tweet on Twitter. If social media is the source of your anxiety, try to take a step back from it instead.

Hang out with a friend

My closest friends know about my anxiety and are my biggest support system. Go catch a movie, grab a drink or just hang out and talk. True friends will always be there to lean on and talking about your feelings really can give you a different perspective.

Take a walk

Being out in nature tends to be very calming. It gives you time to relax and is quiet and serene.

Try some aroma therapy

There are some amazingly calming scents out there that you can get in a variety of ways. Grab a tube of lotion or find some essential oil and a diffuser. Lavender is a known stress reliever and is definitely one of my favorite scents.

Remind yourself of everything you have overcome in the past

This one really tends to help me. Panic attacks tend to make you feel as though your world is coming to an end. It is a terrible feeling that is hard to shake. Think back to past struggles that you have overcome and remind yourself that there has been nothing in the past that you haven't gotten through, because you are still here, right?

For every negative thought, counter it with a positive thought

Instead of, "Is he not answering me because he's angry with me?" replace it with, "He's not answering me because he is busy." One of my favorite quotes ever (from "Grey's Anatomy" of course) is, "When you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." In other words, the most logical explanation is probably the right one.

Stay away from caffeine

As much as I love coffee, caffeine makes anxiety a million times worse. Save the Starbucks for another time.

Seek professional help if necessary

There is nothing wrong with asking for help. If you feel like your anxiety and panic attacks are getting out of control, tell someone. Therapy and medications can literally be lifesavers.