The Great Halloween Debate

The Great Halloween Debate

How do we celebrate Halloween during a pandemic?

25
The Great Halloween Debate

October seems to be flying by. As this month comes to its end, one of the most beloved holidays is upon us: Halloween! This year is especially interesting, since witches, goblins and ghouls are no doubt much less scary than everything else we've faced this year. I would much rather come face to face with a vampire out for blood than watch this upcoming election unfold. Halloween is a time for candy, costumes, parties, and pumpkins. What's not to love? But while we are unfortunately still in the middle of a pandemic, we need to be careful how we approach this holiday.

There is a debate going on around whether or not Halloween should be cancelled altogether. Should be allow socially distanced trick-or-treating, or is that too much of a risk? What about parties and parades? What about stores who rely on candy sales and Halloween enthusiasts this time of year?

The answer isn't simple. There isn't a clear line to draw, and we have to be used to that by now. Rules are hard to set, and even harder to enforce. Everyone is responsible for themselves. As has been proved over and over again, some don't take Covid seriously, and will continue to not during Halloween. Others will be taking the same amount of caution they have been since March, and others might believe they are due for a break and might risk it by going to a party.

The best way to avoid the spread of Covid, of course, would be to cancel it all: parties, trick-or-treating, parades, everything. But is it realistic? Probably not. Regardless, people will party. They will hand out candy. So how can we make sure this is done as safe as possible?

Huge parties should be discouraged, in my opinion. Small gatherings of people who have been tested, are socially distancing, and wearing masks seems reasonable. As for trick-or-treating, it would be smart to go out with masks, gloves, and hand-sanitizer ready. For houses handing out candy, they may consider leaving the bucket out with a bottle of hand sanitizer and wipes rather than coming into contact with everyone looking for candy.

And of course, there's plenty of Fall activities to be done that are safe too. Apple picking and pumpkin picking outside are great examples, especially when wearing masks. Get together with a small group and carve some pumpkins, have a bonfire! There are so many safe options.

We are all tired of things being cancelled, but taking these necessary precautions can save lives. We can't just ignore Covid and hope it goes away--we have to actively fight against it. Going out for Halloween can't be completely controlled or prevented, but taking the necessary steps to keep yourself and people around you safe is something you can control on a personal level. Enjoy yourself, but be safe. Happy Halloween!