Tips To Help Finish Out The Semester!

Tips To Help Finish Out The Semester!

Escaping the end of first semester slump

84
Tips To Help Finish Out The Semester!
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/12/06/636482007276872706-128429525_StockSnap_DUO1RQIUJ2.jpg

Second semester is quickly approaching, and you might be wondering why you already feel ready to just skip your responsibilities and take that nap you’ve been dreaming about during classes. Well your not alone. Every year I tell myself I will somehow find a way to keep my momentum going long enough to get through the year without too much damage to my GPA. People will say it's because you don’t get enough sleep, but speaking from experience even if I slept a good eight hours, I wake up and feel like I've only slept two. Where is the change from your body letting you wake up at 8 am to the point where you lay in bed watching the minutes tick by until you have no choice but to get up or risk missing class? I thought I’d list some of the things I have tried in hopes that maybe they’ll be some help to my fellow procrastinators and just plain mentally exhausted people out there. Also, there are some new things for me to try to get through these last few weeks of classes. Keep these tips in mind for next semester too.

Keeping a planner/sticky notes:

Personally, planners don't really work for me. At first, everything seems to be going well until you forget one entry or forget the planner altogether. But fortunately, it works for some people. I know a lot of people who put a lot of thought into writing notes to themselves. Also, don't be afraid to be creative and make it fun. If you go to craft stores like Michael's they sell special notes (stickers) where you can set goals, reminders, etc. It may sound childish but is more interesting than writing in a boring planner. Sticky notes themselves are an easy way to write notes to yourself on the go. You can stick them in notebooks as well as around your room. They also work to write yourself words of encouragement, which wouldn't hurt during finals week.

Do your homework like it's a speed date:

When I do my homework I tend to lose focus after the first 20 minutes. So I've learned the trick is to never work on one assignment for too long. If you're like me one stray thought leads to daydreaming and the next thing you know you've just spent another half an hour thinking about the next show you're planning to binge watch on Netflix that weekend. Now, I do not mean take a break because I know when I stop working it takes all the willpower I have to get back that focus. But if you switch to another assignment at least you'll still be getting work done without worry.

Get a study buddy:

It's best not to get together with too many people when studying, but going to the library or a quiet place is a good way to motivate each other to hit the books. I recently started going to the library with my roommate, and I actually get more work done than without the distractions in my dorm room. The location also matters. In the library, there is no television or comfy bed to trail your thoughts away from work. It also helps when you have someone else there that can keep you on track and focused.

Create a schedule:

Sometimes the thing to keep you motivated is to have a routine to follow. it is also a chance to incorporate time into things you've wanted to start but have pushed off, like going to the gym. If you set times for everything and stick to them, it becomes a habit and each time you follow through you begin to get used to that routine. Also, setting time limits for yourself is a must. I am a huge procrastinator but a lot of the reason is that I work well under pressure. Giving yourself a deadline adds that pressure to get it done. Don't forget to reward/praise yourself for getting things done. Associate work with positive thinking.

Hope this helps! Don’t forget, we got this!