5 Ways To Create A Calm, Collected, And Focus-Driven Workspace

How do YOU make sure you get work done?

73
via Unsplash

Having some trouble staying stress-free and focused when getting some work done? Over the years of being a student, I have gathered a few practices when it comes to staying calm and collected at my workspace. Here are 5 things I always make sure of before beginning any big assignment or study session!

1. Get rid of anything that is distracting (and that doesn't just mean your phone)

Anything that you keep around your workspace that can lead you to think about something other than your work should be put or thrown away. Get rid of any trash, silence your phone and hide it from yourself, etc. Even eliminating little things you wouldn’t think of like food or pictures can help you focus just a little better.

2. Only keep what you NEED around you

This next point somewhat correlates with the previous bullet. When you surround yourself with things that are only related to what you have to get done, you prevent your thoughts from wandering off about irrelevancies. For instance, when you are at the library and have to get that ten-page research paper done, the only things you should keep out on your desk is your laptop, notes, whatever books you may need, and water! Which leads me to my next point...

3. Keep a water bottle within arms reach

It is SO important to stay hydrated, not just when exercising but especially when getting work done. By always keeping a water bottle with you and never forgetting to actually drink from it, can boost your energy by so much. More energy=more productivity!

4. Leave your to-do list out

Keeping your to-do list out where you can see it can be your constant reminder to get the things on that list done. There are days where I can’t go the entire day without checking off every single thing on my to-do lists. If you are anything like me, you like to appreciate the little things you accomplish, whether that be responding to an email or making your bed. Celebrating little (or big) victories each day can help you feel more calm and collected, so keeping that to-do list in sight can be your motivation to do just that!

5. Keep a plant close by

I currently have a few plants including a cactus and an aloe plant that I picked up from a local farmers market. I like to keep these plants around my workspace because of the benefits that they are known for. For example, plants are known to boost productivity, improve the quality of the air around you, and reduce stress levels. Some people even like to keep plants around their workspace, or any space for that matter, because they simply bring a sense of life and energy to the room.

While there are many more ways to remain calm, collected, and focused at your workspace, these are just a few of the things I do to make sure I get everything done that is necessary. Who knows, maybe these few tips can inspire you to create your own ways of checking off more on your to-do's.