How to Find a Bikini Bottom that Works for You

80

Bikini bottoms can be tough to get right. When it comes to buying a new bikini, we often find a top that we love only to discover the matching bottoms are ill-fitting or do not flatter our shape. In recent years, we’ve seen a wider range of bikini bottoms that offer a different fit than the standard low-rise bottoms that we’ve seen for years. Girls with an hourglass figure may feel like they are between sizes since the bottoms that fit their hips are usually too big in other places. On the other hand girls with a rectangular shape will find the standard low rise bikini bottom to be a perfect fit for them. This is why knowing your body shape, and what will work for it, is so important when it comes to something form-fitting like a bathing suit.

Keep reading if you are ready to find the perfect shaped bikini bottom for your body so you can head into the summer months with confidence.

Athletic: Athletic body shapes are typically characterized by wider shoulders and narrower hips with clear muscle definition. This can also include people who have a rectangular shape or inverted triangle shape. If you have this body type, you will probably not struggle with the fit of a standard bikini bottom, but the low rise straight across cut will not be the best way to show off your body. Instead, go for something cheeky with sides that you can hike up past your hips. This will give you the illusion of a more defined waist while also showing off your muscular booty. Brazilian bottoms or thong bikinis will look amazing on this body type, but if you aren’t comfortable with that amount of skin, anything that you can wear above the natural hipline is going to be more flattering on you. Also, don’t shy away from patterns or bright colors on the bottom. This can help your hips appear wider and will draw attention to the legs and booty area, which is perfect for showing off your toned lower body.

Hourglass: Hourglasses figures are defined by the equal or similar width of the hips and shoulders with a narrow waist in between. These girls have more options when it comes to bikini bottoms. The one major style to avoid here are the low-rise straight-cut bottoms that were mentioned earlier. We find that on girls with wider hips, this style tends to squeeze the hips in an unflattering way while sagging in the booty area. This is due to ill fit more than anything else. You can avoid this issue by seeking out bikini bottoms with adjustable ties. This way you can make sure that the fit is right, or you can hike the strings up your hips for a more Brazilian look.

If you are a more bottom-heavy hourglass, stay away from colors and patterns on bottoms. This can make you look heavy on the bottom by drawing the eyes. If you are a more top-heavy hourglass shape, you will want to seek out patterns and textures on your bottoms to help create the illusion of balance. If you want to draw the eyes away from your bottom half, look for tops that have embellishments like ruffles, sequins, metals, or loud patterns.

Pear-Shaped: Pear, apple, and round shapes are all going to fall into this category. If you are someone who carries their weight primarily in the torso section of the body, then you are going to want to seek out bottoms that work for your shape. Pear shapes with more weight in the lower half of their torso should steer clear of things like ruffles and ruching on the bottoms to avoid creating the appearance of additional weight or shape. Apple or round shapes on the other hand should seek out these types of embellishments to help create balance by drawing the eyes down. Also, don’t be afraid to check out high waisted options if you want to hide more of your midsection. Not only can high waisted bottoms be incredibly flattering, but they can help you feel more confident if you are uncomfortable showing too much skin at the midsection.

Bottoms for All Shapes and Sizes

While using knowledge of your body type while shopping for a bikini can ensure that you are buying something flattering, these are only guidelines. The most important part of purchasing and wearing a new bikini is that you feel happy and confident in your own skin. So don’t be afraid to don whichever bikini makes you feel like a rockstar! We all deserve to look and feel out best for all the vacations and beach trips that are ahead this summer!