How To Feed Your Soul

How To Feed Your Soul

Here's how to fill 12 wicker baskets with a few loaves and fish.

41
How To Feed Your Soul
Michael Pink

The night I wrote this article, I was supposed to go to sleep early, yet I found myself hours later wide awake with my fingers flying across my key board. Hopefully you can relate to one of those times when God puts something on your heart and you can’t even think about doing anything else until you accomplish what he has asked you to do. Sometimes God just lights this fire in our souls, and we can’t rest until we share that fire with others. This is one of those fires he lit inside my soul. I pray that this article can spark a little something inside of you too.

Today’s Gospel reading is one I’ve heard a million times. You are probably familiar with it as well. It’s the one where Jesus multiplies the fish and loaves to feed an enormous crowd. What I haven’t heard a million times from this reading is the part where Jesus says, “Bring them here to me.”

Jesus asks the disciples to bring Him every last bit of food they could find. Only then did He work wonders and completely satisfy the hunger of the huge crowd.

Boom! It hit me like a ton of bricks as I read this Gospel tonight. Only when I bring Jesus everything I have will He satisfy the spiritual hunger of my heart.

I don’t know about you, but my heart aches often. My soul is constantly yearning for more. I am always searching for that full serving of bread and fish to satisfy my deepest hunger.

Here in this Gospel, I am reminded of the truth that Jesus not only is able to feed me, but he also longs to feed me. He deeply desires to overflow 12 of my wicker baskets with more than enough fish and loaves to fill my aching soul.

Jesus could have easily went along with the disciples’ suggestion to send the crowd away to buy their own food, but He didn’t.

Mother Teresa so beautifully reminds us:

“Jesus wants me to tell you again... how much is the love He has for each one of you -- beyond all what you can imagine... Not only He loves you, even more -- He longs for you. He misses you when you don't come close. He thirsts for you. He loves you always, even when you don't feel worthy...”

Jesus longs to feed me just like he fed the large crowd. He misses me when I don’t come to him hungry. He wants me to run to him with an empty stomach.

All I have to do for Jesus to satisfy every last bit of my hunger is bring him the little that I do have.

So, here I am Lord. Here is the little that I do have. Here is my heart and soul. Here are all my talents and abilities. Here are my passions and desires. Here are my relationships. Here are my hopes and dreams. Here are the few fresh loaves that I have. Now I need your help, Jesus. This next part of my prayer is a little harder. You already know that though. Here, Lord, here are the fish that I would rather keep to myself. Here are the fish that sometimes don’t smell very pleasant. Here are the parts of my heart that I’m not using to nourish myself the way that you would nourish me. I am yours, Lord. Everything I am and every little piece of me, I turn back over to you. Your will be done. Thank You in advance for everything You are about to do in my life. Thank You in advance for the t12 wicker baskets full of blessings you will overflow my soul with.

Now as a reader you have two options:

1. You can close this article right now and go about scrolling mindlessly for another hour.
  2. You can continue on to read the Gospel that inspired me, meditate on the few questions I have posed at the end, and actually take away something from this time spent. Who knows, maybe God will light your fire with a completely different message to share with the world.

Gospel: Matthew 14:13-21

When Jesus heard of the death of John the Baptist, he withdrew in a boat to a deserted place by himself. The crowds heard of this and followed him on foot from their towns. When he disembarked and saw the vast crowd, his heart was moved with pity for them, and he cured their sick. When it was evening, the disciples approached him and said, “This is a deserted place and it is already late; dismiss the crowds so that they can go to the villages and buy food for themselves.” He said to them, “There is no need for them to go away; give them some food yourselves.” But they said to him, “Five loaves and two fish are all we have here.” Then he said, “Bring them here to me,” and he ordered the crowds to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish, and looking up to heaven, he said the blessing, broke the loaves, and gave them to the disciples, who in turn gave them to the crowds. They all ate and were satisfied, and they picked up the fragments left over—twelve wicker baskets full. Those who ate were about five thousand men, not counting women and children.

Have you brought everything to Jesus?

What are the fresh loaves of your soul that you would love to bring to him?

What are the smelly fish that sometimes you hesitate to bring to Jesus out of selfishness or fear or doubt?

What is it that Jesus is asking you to bring to him?

What fish and loaves in your life does Jesus desire to multiply and overflow your wicker baskets with?