How To Deal With Seasonal Depression (SAD)

Many people in our world deal with seasonal depression aka Seasonal Affective disorder (SAD). Basically, you get depressed (or more depresses) when the colder seasons come around. It can at times feel impossible to deal with, however you will make it though, and there are ways to deal with it. Here are just a couple of those ways:

Hanging out with friends

group-of-four-girl-friends image - Free stock photo - Public ... group-of-four-girl-friends image - Free stock photo - Public ...

Being inside all of the time can get incredibly lonely. Although it's a little more difficult right now with COVID-19, it's still important for you to socialize. Whether that be with one person, or a small group of friends. It's important that you're still talking to people and not stowed away in your home all alone all winter long. Get some socializing in by grabbing a friend or two, making some hot chocolate and watching a movie.

Getting time outside

Person Walking Outside - Free photo on Pixabay Person Walking Outside - Free photo on Pixabay

Although it's a bit harder when it's really cold out, it's still important to get a little bit of time outside in the sun. Most people don't love being outside when it's freezing, however a couple of minutes in the sun is really good for you. Even if that's just a short walk around the block or to walk the dog, it will do you and your mental health well to get some time in the sun.

Focusing on self care

6 Skincare Products Under $15 Everyone In The Pursuit Of Flawless Skin HAS To Check Out @allisonturquoise

Focusing on self care is a very easy yet big way you can deal with seasonal depression. Because you're inside more, that gives you a lot more time to do things that bring you peace. That could be journaling, meditating, taking a bath, doing a facemark, or whatever works for you. No matter what that may be, be sure to make some time in your day to do some self care, because it will truly benefit you in the long run.

Exercising

File:Schulterstand-mit-stuhl-iyengar-yoga-2020.jpg - Wikimedia Commons File:Schulterstand-mit-stuhl-iyengar-yoga-2020.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Most of the general popular doesn't jump at the opportunity to "exercise." Myself included. However, it is good for you, especially when you're feeling depressed. This could be anything from going to the gym for an hour, taking a run around town, or even just doing yoga in your room. Getting your body moving is important in general, but especially when you're not out doing things, your body needs it even more. You might not love it, but your body and mind will thank you.

Brighten up your living space

time, decoration, fairy lights, bokeh, Making, Magic, Fairy ... time, decoration, fairy lights, bokeh, Making, Magic, Fairy ...

When the winter comes, much more of the day (at least when most are awake) is dark. That means in the evening or even mid-afternoon, it starts getting dark quick. You could be sitting indoor room and not even realize it's getting dark. This can make you feel unproductive, and like you've lost a lot of the day, which is unpleasant enough as it is, especially on top of everything else. To combat this, put up some lights in your room or living space. This could be a lamp, a light up salt rock, led lights, or even just some fairly lights.

Sticking to a schedule

Sticking to a schedule makes you feel more put together in general, but it becomes even more important when the winter comes around. You can get up earlier and have more time in the sun chichis a plus on it's own, but it will also give you a better start to your day. You'll almost most likely be more productive throughout the day which could lead to less stress. There's many benefits to sticking to a schedule

Get a pet or plant

4. House plants

Getting a pet or plant is a really good way to get a little bit of joy in your life. It also gives you a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Even if you aren't feeling the best mentally, you'll have a responsibility to this pet or plant that will give you the motivation to get started. Maybe start with a plant that's easy to take care of, such as a cactus, and work your way up to a pet such as a cat or dog.