When A Close Friend Becomes Somebody That You Used To Know

It'll be okay

436
Huffington Post

We all have that one friend who we thought would be by our side forever. So what happens when that’s not the case anymore?

Dealing with growing apart with someone is undeniably hard. You go from seeing them and talking frequently to barely having time for each other and things to talk about. And it hurts. It can feel like you’re losing a part of you, like the friendship meant nothing or like they don’t care about you anymore. However, more often than not, that’s not the case. A part of growing up is changing who you are both inside and out, finding new interests and growing close to new people. Being away from your friends, whether it’s because of moving or leaving for college, makes it harder to keep up with each other. The conversations slowly become repetitive and dull. You find yourself struggling to keep the conversation alive. As much as you want them to continue being a part of your life, every day becomes harder and harder. So what do you do when this happens?

The first thing is realizing that everything happens for a reason. It’s cliche, but I am a firm believer that those who belong in your life will find a way to come back into it. The people who truly matter and care about you as much as you do them might drift from you briefly but that’s all it is; a brief period apart. Growing apart from someone doesn’t mean they stop caring or you become less meaningful to them. It just means that for right now your lives don’t align and that’s okay.

As someone who’s moved around a lot in my 19 years, I have dealt with this A LOT. My best advice is to continue to be there for the people you care about. Putting in the effort goes a long way and shows the person that you still care, despite changes. However, it's also important to realize when they're only taking and not giving you anything in return. It's unfair to keep yourself in a one-sided friendship because it is guaranteed to drive you crazy. Remember to make sure you're receiving as much as you're giving.

If you do end up losing that connection with your friend entirely and they don't come back into your life, I won't lie, it absolutely sucks. But I can promise you one thing – it'll be okay. You will find new people who will help take away the hurt you feel with the loss. Soon enough, this hard period will be nothing but a distant memory. I promise.