How to Deal with a Motor Vehicle Accident:
News

15 Important Guidelines You Must Take Note Of

72

Be it a car crash or a fender bender, many car accidents can cause serious or even fatal injuries. If a driver is following another vehicle too closely, then it may cause a car crash if the driver following is not able to effectively apply brakes in time. In some cases, there may be multiple vehicles involved in a car accident thereby making the car accident even more complicated. Some of the accidents can be avoided. Let's learn about the different cases of motor vehicle accidents and why it is important to exercise caution while driving.

1. What is Tailgating?

Tailgating is a term used to describe a situation when a vehicle is following another vehicle too closely. Tailgating is sometimes referred to as an aggressive behavior causing many accidents. According to the traffic rules in Miami, a driver of a vehicle is not permitted to follow another vehicle so closely that may be the cause of an accident. Consulting a Miami Personal Injury Lawyer might guide you in case you have faced any such accidents.

The data recorded from Florida traffic rules suggests that in the year 2019 there were approx. 2.19 million rear-end accidents in the United States. The collisions caused by rear-end accidents were 32.5 percent compared to the total accidents that took place in the United States. The deaths caused by rear-end collisions were 2,346 and injured people were somewhere around 590,000 in 2019.

2. Why do drivers tailgate other drivers?

If any driver is in road rage with another driver or he or she is engaged in aggressive driving, then the outcome is often tailgating. There are many causes of tailgating other drivers and some of them are:

●If someone is getting late to arrive at a destination

●The driver is not concentrating while driving

●The driver is taking undue turns and changing lanes after lanes

●A driver is driving when feeling drowsy

●A driver wants to win an unnecessary race or is just showing off

●A driver is being impatient

●A driver may get frustrated owing to traffic and congested conditions

In any of these situations, the car accidents must be reported and the injured person should take help from a renowned and experienced Miami Car Accident Lawyer.

3. Injuries caused by tailgating

Some of the most common injuries that are caused by tailgating include whiplash injuries, neck injuries, brain injuries, seat belt syndrome, injury in soft tissues or the back, spinal cord injuries, broken bones and sometimes fractures, and damage to the internal organs. Individuals who have been injured in a car accident should seek medical help immediately as even minor injuries, if not treated, can lead to major damage to many organs of the body.

The victim is entitled to apply for compensation owing to his or her economic damages such as loss of income, medical expenses, money spent on personal care, and other traveling expenses. The compensation is generally granted for the medical expenses, pain, and other non-economic damages as well.

4. How to avoid accidents caused by Tailgating?

We must always take care of how we drive, which can be one of the causes of avoiding any accidents. Some of the measures that an individual can take to avoid any rear-end collision are: driving within the speed limit, adjusting the speed of the vehicle according to weather and road conditions, driving with concentration, having some buffer time to avoid speeding, trying to avoid driving when in an angry mood, not driving when intoxicated or feeling sleepy, and not getting involved in reckless driving behavior.

5. When do motor vehicle accident reports become public?

It is specified that car accidents reports become public records after 60 days when the car accident occurred. Until that time, only a handful of people can access the information about the car accident. Having said that, certain parties can access the information before it is in public records. This includes law enforcement officials, county traffic operations, prosecutors' offices, television stations licensed by the commission of Florida Communications, legal representatives of parties who are associated with the accidents, and the parties that caused the accident.

6. How to obtain a copy of motor vehicle accidents?

As stated above, the crash reports become public 60 days after the accident has taken place. You can even get the report from the online portal of Florida Highway Safety And Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) where the fee is $10 along with a $2 convenience fee. For your convenience, reports can be requested through mail or in person. Although, if you want an accident report within 60 days, then you are required to submit a sworn statement which is needed to receive a copy of the crash report along with your request.

7. Why do people require car accident reports?

People generally need a crash report as the report contains all the necessary information such as date, time, and location of the incident, road conditions when the accident took place including weather and lighting conditions, damage done to each vehicle, diagram of the scene of the accident, violation of the traffic rules issued to both the drivers along with the citations, names and contact details of people involved in the accident, a statement made by the parties and witnesses, and the opinion of a police officer on how the collision happened.

If you are hiring an attorney, then he or she might require all the above-mentioned information that might be helpful for the injured person in getting the compensation and in making the case strong enough to win the claim.

8. Right time to seek the legal advice

The time to file a claim has been constrained by the Florida statute of limitations. In a car accident claim, two of the fundamental steps that you must take are seeking immediate medical attention and prompt legal advice that will indeed help in protecting your rights. Before accepting any help from an insurance company, you must seek legal advice from a skilled lawyer who has expertise in dealing with accidents cases and personal injury cases.

9. Car Accident injuries sustained by expectant mothers

If a car accident involves an expectant mother, then she might have sustained multiple injuries and might require prompt medical attention. Some of the most common injuries caused to a pregnant woman include placental abruption, injury to the unborn baby, uterine injuries, broken bones, back injuries, whiplash, and brain injuries. The injuries, however, are not limited to the above-stated injuries.

10. Protection provided by seat bags and airbags

Most expectant mothers believe that using airbags and seat belts can be the cause of some injuries. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), however, suggests that pregnant women must use seat belts according to their convenience as they would protect and safeguard them in case of any accidents.

11. Seeking medical aid after a car accident

After a car accident, an expectant mother may need immediate medical attention for some of the more common injuries she may sustain. This may include: contractions, bleeding, abdominal pain, vomiting, swelling, pain, urgent urination, severe headache, chills, fever, physical trauma, and other side effects. It is also advised that you consult a doctor and get your check-up done in case of minor injuries also.

12. Responsibility for the injuries and damages caused

Drivers in Miami are required to purchase PIP insurance coverage that will provide coverage for medical bills and wages loss incurred due to a car accident. The party who is at fault will be responsible for your damages, injuries and may include payment for medical expenses, bills, impairments, disabilities, lost income, decreased earnings, physical pain, suffering, loss of quality of life, emotional stress, mental trauma, and other damages.

13. What to do when you are at fault in a car accident?

First and foremost, you must not leave the accident scene. It is recommended that you make wise decisions after an accident has occurred. You should check on the other driver and you call the authorities if the driver has received any injuries. You should be polite to law enforcement authorities and answer all the questions as well as being supportive enough to the other party involved in the accident as well.

14. Vital information to be gathered from an accident scene

After an accident, you should try to gather all the names and contact information of the witnesses who are present there at the accident scene. Look for any cameras in that lane or place where the accident took place. Capture some images and necessary evidence from the accident scene such as vehicle damage, debris, road conditions, dangerous interventions, and other environmental factors. This can be of great help to you in the future and will help you prepare to face the other party should your claim go to trial.

15. Dealing with the insurance company after the accident

Suppose, you are at fault in an accident. If this is the case, then personal injury protection insurance (PIP) will still help you as it is not dependent on fault. Instead, the insurance will help you to get the coverage for medical expenses. In Miami, PIP insurance is required for drivers while driving. If you do not have PIP insurance, however, then there may be supplemental insurance that can help you get the compensation you need. Supplemental insurance includes emergency policies such as Aflac and MedPay thereby providing some relief in other medical costs as well.

Peace of mind, concentration, and correct behavior can be a must while driving any vehicle. A person while driving must maintain all roadway standards and comply with traffic rules. This can help prevent any accidents from occurring. Most drivers, however, try to maintain all the safety measures and accidents still occur. The driver must not only protect himself but also the others whose life he or she may risk in case of accidents. Keep in mind these 15 guidelines that can help you to face an accident situation or avoid it entirely.