8 Emotionally Peaceful Moments That Make High-Functioning Depression Feel A Little Less Heavy

8 Emotionally Peaceful Moments That Made High-Functioning Depression Feel A Little Less Heavy

It's never going to go away, but you can at least distract yourself with the positive.

370
Maya Parella

I think one of the hardest parts about college was learning how to take care of myself. Trying to balance school, studying, healthy eating, sleeping and socializing became an overwhelming challenge more often than I'd like to admit. I always found a way to get homework done and fulfill other obligations, but almost every day was an uphill climb.

Fortunately, weeks of exhaustion were always punctuated by happy, tranquil moments. Below are just eight of them I wish I recreate every day—they were the reprieve I needed from reality.

1. Early morning sunbeams

Maya Parella

There's a special sort of quietness that comes with the early morning. It's just you and the universe. In that moment, no one can hurt you and nothing bad can touch you. You are free from everything weighing you down, and I cherish that emotional security.

2. Cafés after dark

Maya Parella

Starbucks after dark has, in my opinion, the most calming ambiance. You get the background music, quiet chatter and the comfort of others without any of it being too overwhelming. I find the fluorescent lighting in libraries too harsh, so when I really need to sit down and study, this is my go-to place.

3. Lunch dates

Maya Parella

Grabbing lunch with my friends was always the highlight of my week. We could only do it on Thursdays and never for very long, but these 20-minute breaks left me feeling light and loved every time.

4. Walking home after a good game

Maya Parella

We lost every game. Every single one. All of them. And I was no star athlete either, but every second I spent playing volleyball with these people was a second worth cherishing. It was a reminder that I am part of something bigger than myself, and that warm feeling followed me every step home. Our games took place at night, so the feeling of security and comfort was always the last thing I felt before sleeping.

5. Hiking...really slowly

Maya Parella

So this wasn't hard-core hiking with the giant water bottles and backpacks, but it was a hot, dry and exhaustingly long walk. At the time I was sleep deprived, anemic and hungry from not eating breakfast so I lagged behind pretty quickly.

Two friends were kind enough to hang back with me and I never even had to ask—they did it out of the goodness of their hearts, and I was so deeply touched and appreciative. It made me all the more grateful for having the friends I do.

6. Painting at sunset

Maya Parella

In all honesty, I hadn't showered that day and I wore that sweater for about a week straight. Getting out of dorms and forcing myself to do some soul-enriching activities was exactly what I needed. It was a "cry because you're so exhausted and it's nice to good again" kind of moment. A million thank-yous to the girls who dragged me out that day.

7. Beach sunsets with loved ones

Maya Parella

Believe it or not, there's no filter on this photo. This is Mother Nature in all her glory, and I'm convinced she created this heavenly masterpiece just for us that night. I remember snapping this photo and thinking how incredible life can be when simply stop to admire it.

8. Sunsets on chilly evenings

Maya Parella

This isn't the most beautiful sunset photo I've ever taken. It wasn't even the most beautiful sunset I've seen, but I will always remember how happy I was sitting on that rooftop with two of my dearest friends.

Moments don't have to look beautiful to feel beautiful.

Depression isn't something that just goes away. You can have decent grades and a social life and still be burdened by its heavy weight. Sometimes the best thing you can do while is focus on the small moments.