Body positivity

13 ways to Cultivate Body Positivity

A necessity for all of us.

315

I don't know if this is due to my age, my environment or society itself, but lately, I have been struggling with how I view my body. I also cannot begin to count how many conversations I've had with my friends, female and male alike, who express the same sort of struggles. Body image is a huge problem specifically with teens of our society - having an unfalteringly positive body image is so rare. So, on the days (or periods of life, really) that you fondness yourself dissatisfied, unhappy, self-conscious or even upset, it is so important to have concrete ways to remedy these early feelings. Since beginning this list of strategies, I've already felt more confident and more in control of my body and mind. Taking ownership of how you see your body is hugely important and underrated. So, I hope that these few tips give some perspective and maybe even some freed

1. Acquire a favorite perfume.

Smell good, feel good.

2. Drink SO MUCH WATER.

Invest in a cute water bottle that you love and take it everywhere.

3. Be naked a lot by yourself.

Dance naked. Do yoga naked. Don’t just be comfortable wit your body, but learn to love living in JUST your body.

4. Identify the things you want to IMPROVE

Key word: improve. Not things you dislike or that you're self conscious about- everything has room for improvement, and thats not a negative thing. Write out concrete, tangible ways to improve.

5. Be active, but in a way that makes you happy.

If you hate going to the gym, don't go to the gym!! Go on a beautiful hike, do a kickass ab workout to your fav tunes, or join a sport team!! There are so many ways to be active, there's bound to be one that doesn't make u wanna die, so it'll be easy to motivate yourself to do it.

6. Stop talking about “dieting.”

Eat healthy, but balanced, and certainly not less. Don't cut stuff out necessarily, just cut back. Treat yourself every once in a while, but mostly go for healthy, balanced options (remember, fats and carbs and protein are necessary!)

7. Take care of yourself.

Get your hair cut, trim your nails, get that shitty nail polish off, acquire a skin routine, use chapstick, shower often, shave often (if you so choose), and dear god, don't sleep with your makeup on.

8. Try to weigh yourself as little as possible.

Every so often, sure, just to make sure you're still at a healthy weight. But don't do it every day, or every week, even. A five pound fluctuation is basically negligible.

9. Buy clothes that you fit in well and that make you feel confident.

If you're on the fence about something, odds are you're not gonna wear it. Also, even if it's the cutest dress in the world, if it's not comfortable too, don't buy it.

10. Sleep well, consistently, and enough.

11. Unfollow those crazy Instagram models who look unreal.

They are unreal, and you don't need them in your feed.

12. Mental health translates to physical.

If you need to take a mental health day, DO IT. If you work on your mind, you will feel better in every aspect.

13. Listen to your body.

Everyone is different- if you're working out and you feel fatigued, take a breather. If you have a food intolerance, stop eating whatever it is, even if you love it with all of your heart. If you think something is wrong somewhere, get it checked out. You know your body more than you think you do- listen and care.