There's No Fool-Proof Way To Cope With A Breakup, But This Is What I've Learned

Letting go of someone so close to you is easier said than done for sure.

468
Unsplash

After recently breaking up with my boyfriend of almost a year, I am trying to return to my life without him. It is not easy to move past that kind of event, in fact, it is quite difficult. I think there is a multitude of ways in which you can deal with a breakup.

We came to a mutual decision that the timing of our relationship was just not right. With quite the age gap between us, it was just not working for us. And we had a very long talk that resulted in a lot of tears and words, words that just seemed to be nothing after talking for several hours. There is really no fool-proof way in which to cope with a breakup, but this is what I am doing.

The night we broke up, I sat with him in his bed and cried. I am pretty sure I was dry of tears after that because eventually the tears just stopped. They stopped flowing and all that was left was sadness. Compared to my previous breakup, this was so much more difficult. Having to let go of someone you genuinely cherish and care for is not easy. But coming to terms with the fact that is is not going to work might even be more difficult than the breakup itself.

One of the most important steps to take is time for yourself. Give yourself time to be sad. In my last break up I tried to move on too fast, which was not good. I found myself in a period of sadness weeks after we broke up because initially, I did not give myself the time I needed to cope with what had happened, I simply tried to move on too fast. But this time, I gave myself grief. I allowed myself to be sad and come to terms with it.

Letting go of someone so close to you is easier said than done for sure. But you have to admit that everything happens for a reason, and that is another step. Admit that it is okay to let them go. Take your own directions in life and eventually, you may cross paths again. I know I will always have a friendly relationship with my ex-boyfriend.

I would say that shoving ice cream in your face might work and fill a void, but I do not think that is a good resolution. Start a new habit to distract yourself. Go for a walk, meditate, bake something. Just try and fill the void you might be feeling. There is no emotional cure-all for things like this, but you need to occupy yourself so you do not fall back into sadness.

I think the first week is the hardest. Not getting to see them and spend time with them sucks. My ex and I agreed we can still be friends, and I know if I ever needed anything he would be there for me. I know he is destined for a great future, and I hope to cross paths again someday.