How To Cope When Your Favorite Sports Team Loses

5 tips to help mend your broken heart...

2860
mlblogsdodgersphotog

Being a sports fan is not easy if you are as emotionally invested as I am. Just this past Saturday, my Los Angeles Dodgers were eliminated from the playoffs. The Dodgers were eliminated in game 6 of the NLCS preventing them from moving on to the World Series. This year’s squad was my favorite one thus far. The team faced many more adversities than usual, but still made it far. I know many others like me are facing heartbreaks from a similar sports team loss so I have a few tips for you.

1. Acknowledge your feelings.

Allow yourself to vent; it’s okay if you are sad or disappointed over a loss. But remember to keep control. Don’t allow your emotions to get the best of you. Yes it is okay to yell but avoid shouting at others.

2. Accept your impotence

Don’t blame yourself because there was nothing you could do to change the outcome of the game. Their failure is not your failure. They didn’t loose because you didn’t wear your lucky socks, or etc.

3. Talk to other fans

The best part about being a fan is meeting other fans. Sports are a great communal experience regardless of where you watch the game because of the accesibility we have today. Use it to be help you and others cope with the disappointment.

4. Be prepared to deal with taunting from other fans

Trolling, banter, and insults are all part of a sports fan experience and you will most likely be a target after loosing. Be ready to handle it the proper way; ignore it, or give it back.

5. Stay LOYAL to your team

A tough loss shouldn’t drive you from supporting your team. Staying loyal after a loss can give you a big psychological boost.