How To Clear That Gray Cloud Over Your Head

Focus on the things you can change. If it's out of your control, it's no help worrying about it.

698
Anja Matko

Imagine being in a permanent funk. Imagine having a gray cloud over your head that never seems to clear. Imagine feeling like your drowning in work and feeling like no one is there with you, cheering you on. Stress doesn't even begin to describe the feeling you have.

I'm sure you've experienced this before. I have. College seems to be getter harder and harder. With that, I seem to need more validation, self-assurance, and affirmation. Sometimes, I struggle to find even one of these necessities.

What I've noticed is when I'm working hard and I have support, that gray cloud seems to clear. Even if for a short while, I feel better.

For people like me, I've discovered several things to help clear the gray funk away:

1. Smile

My mom has always told me "smile and the world smiles back." Even if it may seem fake, put a smile on your face. I've also noticed even when I'm not happy and smiling is the last thing I want to do, smiling ends up putting me in a better mood.

2. Compliment yourself

This is the one situation when complimenting yourself doesn't inflate your ego. It's a self-assurance mechanism. It's the way I motivate myself to work hard. It lessens my stress.

3. Compliment others

I like seeing others smile. I know when I'm surrounded by people with positive energy, I have to positive as well! One way to ensure people will be smiling is to compliment them. Third party compliments are the most effective (in my experience).

4. Stay organized

I can't focus if my work space is messy. I'm kind of OCD in that way. However, if you ask my parents how clean my room is at home they'll tell you a whole different story. Keep all your notes clean and easy to read. It will cause for less stress later when you're going through them. Stay up to date with chapter readings-- you'll never catch up once you're behind. Finally, get a planner and write down your assignments.

5. Exercise

I know it's hard to get out of bed sometimes. You had a tough day yesterday, and the last thing you want to do is leave your warm blankets. However, science proves that exercising improves mood and leads to a happier, and healthier, life.

So if you're ever sad, depressed, worried, or stressed... focus on what you can change. It will never help you to worry about things that are out of your control. Soon, trust me, that gray cloud will clear. Things will get better