9 Reasons 'The Wilds' Should Be Your Next Binge Watch

The Wilds is the Best New Show on Amazon Prime

33852
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/amazon-s-wilds-much-more-just-gender-swapped-lord-flies-ncna1250078

As we enter the new year, you might be looking for a great show to kick-off 2021. Look no further, I have the perfect recommendation. "The Wilds" was released on Amazon Prime last month and has been gaining traction steadily since then. This series of 10 one-hour episodes tells the stories of eight girls who find themselves on a deserted island after their plane crashed while they are on their way to a resort. Unlike other survival shows, there's a bit more to the story than what first meets the eye. This show is unique in characters, storytelling methods, and plot.

If you aren't convinced yet, allow me to provide you with a list of further persuasion.

1. Plot

While at first glance, the crashing plane doesn't seem very original, there is much more to the story. Rather than a freak accident, there is a sort of conspiracy taking place. They didn't crash by any accident. This was an orchestrated event, and they were picked one by one for this event. Without giving too much away, you become more invested and aware as the show goes on about what is truly happening to these girls. Aside from the major plot there are internal struggles and conflicts between the girls and plenty of internal conflicts.

2. Storytelling 

The storytelling method used in "The Wilds" is unique and captures your attention in a great way. There is essentially one episode for each of the girls, telling their story. It flashes back to their life before the crash, to the island, to where they have been "rescued" and are being questioned. All of this gives us enough information to relate to and care for the character, but each of the episodes still leaves questions unanswered. By moving between past and present, the show never lingers on a place or time for too long, making it impossible to look away.

3. Mystery

It is revealed early on that one of the girls on the island is actually working for the antagonists of the show--they were aware the plane was going to go down the entire time. So while you're watching them all try to survive, you're also looking for clues as to who it must be. The show does a great job of having each of the characters be suspected at one point or another so that the reveal is truly shocking.

4. Characters

As mentioned before, each of the girls has an episode telling their story. "The Wilds" accomplishes the seemingly impossible task of making all of their main characters lovable. If not love, they are at the very least empathetical. These girls have all been through hell, even prior to the plane crash. They have suffered traumas that the audience can relate to. They show strength, vulnerability, vulnerability. They make mistakes. They all feel very real, and that's what makes you care for each of them so much. You root for them, you want them to be safe. Additionally, the antagonist is extremely powerful. She sends chills down my spine with every scene. She isn't objectively acting in malicious ways, which makes her even scarier. She has a justification for everything she does. Pair this with the fact that everyone in the cast is extremely talented-- the characters alone are enough to draw you in after one episode.

5. Queer Women

The show features two excellent examples of queer women. With just two stories, they manage to show completely different perspectives. One character struggles with homelessness and the lack of a guardian but is free to love who she loves and it is never really questioned. On the other hand, one girl is extremely privileged in terms of wealth and lifestyle but is in a very toxic environment that doesn't allow her to be who she is. By bringing these characters together who initially didn't get along at all, they are able to come to an understanding that is admirable and enthralling to watch.

6. Representation

Along with the queer representation, five of the eight girls on the island are people of color. One of the first Indigenous characters I've ever seen on teen television explores her identity and elements of her culture are shared and celebrated on screen. Having these different perspectives on the show lends to its relatability and the different dynamics between characters.

7. Stakes and suspension

The stakes are incredibly high on this show. There are near-death experiences in nearly every episode. These girls are struggling to survive, doing things they never thought possible in the name of eating, drinking, and breathing. They turn on each other, they work together. They fight and they breakdown, they fail and they flourish. Watching all of the highs and lows as they navigate this impossible task is captivating.

8. Addicting

Because the show only has ten episodes, you can easily watch the series in a few sittings. And you'll want to. Turning this show off is incredibly hard. Episode after episode leaves you wanting more. Due to the stakes and suspension, your interest in the characters, and the mystery, you won't want to look away from the screen for even a second.

9. It's already been renewed.

Don't worry about any cliff hangers or unanswered questions! Amazon Prime has already announced that "The Wilds" will be getting a season 2. Due to Covid, we aren't sure when the season will be possible to film and release, but we hope the answer is as soon as possible.

You can watch all 10 episodes of "The Wilds" on Amazon Prime today. Start your 2021 off with an excellent show!