How To Be An Ally

How To Be An Ally

Wearing a safety pin just won't cut it.

7
How To Be An Ally
google

The recent election has caused minorities rights to be in danger, but minorities have never been treated equally in this country. If you're not a straight, white, wealthy man then you have some disadvantages and inequalities in this society. So let's talk about privilege. I hear a lot of people, especially my fellow white people get really offended by this word. When someone calls them privileged they immediately feel like that person is saying their life isn't hard or they've had everything handed to them, which isn't necessarily the case. Privilege just means that the struggles you have faced aren't because of your race, gender identity, sexuality etc. Buzzfeed has a really good privilege quiz to see how privileged you are: Here. The thing about privilege is you often don't know how much you have until you are told or shown because you don't have to deal with other inequalities that other people do.

So let's talk about how to be an ally. I've seen a lot of people post hashtags, or wear safety pins to show support for minorities. Those are just surface level support. At the end of the day those things don't really do too much. Yeah, those things let minorities know that you are a "safe space" but we should make the world a safe space for minorities, not us when they're in our presence. I'm a white woman so even though I'm a woman, I'm still pretty privileged in this society. We need to fight for minority's rights because everyone deserves basic humans rights. We should be outraged that it's 2016 and a lot of people don't have basic human rights or are discriminated against for just being who they are.

I felt really weird about writing this article at first, like it wasn't my place, like I was speaking for minorities. I decided it was important to write this article because I've seen many white people get defensive at the word "privilege," or ignore issues that don't affect them, or get defensive about issues that are literally killing people. I've also seen my friends who want to support minorities, to fight for human rights, to be involved, but just don't know how. I'm writing this article because I see white either not knowing what to do or not caring. I'm writing this article because being as an ally, you have to speak about injustices, educate and inform people that are like you. You don't need to tell about injustices and what to do, to minorities- they already know the injustices.

1. Listen, don't speak over.

No matter how outraged you are my minority discrimination, if you are not apart of that minority, you can't speak from that experience. I'm an intersectional feminist, so I understand that the fight for women's rights is not mutually exclusive to racism, homophobia, xenophobia, etc. So for example, although I face inequalities as a woman I know my fellow women may face more than me. So although I'm a woman I can't speak about personally the other inequities that my other fellow women face. Show support, be right there with them, just don't be the loudest voice. To be an ally you have to listen, you have to learn about inequalities you don't necessarily face.

2. Ally is not a name you just give yourself

I think that something that is important to remember is that just because you're an ally for someone who is a minority, doesn't mean that every minority considers you an ally. Don't get upset if someone who is a minority doesn't trust your support right away. In this society, I've seen a lot of people show support in very minor, superficial ways (ex: safety pin) and I've also seen people mock and make jokes about minorities issues- if I've seen it, minorities have seen it. It's understandable if someone doesn't trust your support right away.

3. You are not a savior

4. You are not an ally just when it's convenient for you

People who identify as a minority can't just " tune out" the injustices, they can't just stop being who they are. Especially if they are discriminated because of they're race. You can't hide what you look like. Minorities members can't decide when to fight for their human rights when it's convenient for them. See how weird that sentence sounded. These people are fighting for their human rights. It's important. Don't hide behind your privilege.

5. You don't face the same inequalities, so constantly educate yourself

It's not your minority's friends job to answer all your questions about their injustices, etc. They are not an encyclopedia in how to be an ally. Do your research. Read articles. Ask other allies. Go to protest, and hear minorities speak first hand. Listen.

6. Allies need to talk to people who have the same privileges as them about the inequalities that different minority groups face

I mentioned in the beginning paragraphs that it's important to talk to people who have the same privileges as you you need to make them aware of the inequalities and discrimination minorities face.

Some things you can do:

1. Call congress

Here's a list of all the members of congress for each state and the phone numbers you can reach them by. CALL THEM. Let them know that you don't support a bill or law that take away from a person's human rights. Complain about issues and government that affect minorities.

2. Talk to people who have the same privileges as them about the inequalities that different minority groups face.

3. Go out and join protest

4. Step in if you see discrimination happening

Ex: If you see Islamophobia happening:

5. Donate Monetarily

Donating to a organization or a cause that supports minorities can do a lot. You can look up the organization or cause's website or do what I do, and type in " How to make a donation to_____" in Google. Here are some example of causes that are being affected currently that you can donate to! (these are just a couple, out of the many!)

Sioux Tribe protesting against the Dakota Access Pipeline:

http://standingrock.org/news/standing-rock-sioux-t...

Planned Parenthood:

https://secure.ppaction.org/site/Donation2?df_id=2...

So now you know everything you need to know about being an ally! Kidding. This is just a beginning guide- do your research, listen to minorities members and take action!

I also want to make this clear, that I wrote this article based on research I've done, conversations I've had with people who are minorities and from other allies.