The Superbowl's Lack Of Politics Is Exactly What We Needed

Thanks, Superbowl, for making me forget about the horrific devastation of our public school system for a few hours.

3
ABC

It's not only difficult to ignore the tenacious political atmosphere - it's trying. It's strenuous labor having to avoid the constant wave of news, mostly (all?) bad that floods the country on a daily basis. Before the tumultuous election, it was necessary to go out of your way to keep up politically. In the year 2017, there's no where to run. Twitter might as well be its own news network altogether. Facebook is like a news source designed for the curious trashcan, and even Instagram dabbles in political content now that news related media companies have successfully infiltrated our social media safe havens.

There is news - real and fake - at every turn. Even our favorite shows, like "Blackish" and "Bob's Burgers" are weighing in on the political scale. I believe in staying up-to-date with the political climate, especially now, but it becomes excessive once we can't escape while looking for exactly that. Film and television, while working as mediums that inspire and inform, serve the dual purpose of entertaining the masses. This year's Superbowl reminded me of past primetime events that's only purpose is to bring the nation together. I did not have any problem with the lack of politics uninvolved in the Superbowl. In fact, it was extremely refreshing.

With no viewing records set, the Superbowl served an incredibly remedial purpose - to give us good television. Lady Gaga delivered quite the shock by remaining silent, considering her reputation as being incredibly outspoken. I considered this gesture as a positive reminder that the nation can unite if not for one thing; being thoroughly engaged by a good story. A good story that ended in overtime, nonetheless.

Every year the Superbowl is the most watched event on broadcast television. Lady Gaga made a choice and her response, or lack of one, was inspiring. It allowed us to breathe easy for the night, to distract ourselves, just for a few hours. Instead of racking up political disconnect, such as Beyonce's iconic performance a few years back, a night without a bitter reminder of the nation's devastation was absolutely necessary.

It's important to stay informed. It's impossible to ignore the horrific rise of an incompetent leader whose strings are being operated by a white supremacist - reality is becoming more of a fucking nightmare everyday. However, as the individual's mental health is deteriorating thanks to the orange moron and the inhumane decisions of The United States government, nonpolitical events should be cherished. The Superbowl was a simple way to forget about the nightmare for a few hours. The mind needs a break from the continual devastation. Allow yourself that.