The DNC And Hillary Clinton Failed The Democratic Electorate

"The election that should have been easy."

28
Politico.com

It's over. The banners lowered, endless polling ceases and Americans can take a deep breath. Donald J. Trump is our president. This article is not about Trump, though; this is about the Democratic National Convention (DNC) and Hillary Clinton and how they failed the democratic electorate.

Let's look at the imaginary scoreboard of the country's elected officials. Republicans control the Senate 51 to 48; Republicans control the House of Representatives 239-194; Republicans have majority Governorships 31-18; and Republicans control 32 of the state legislatures.

At the minimum of 2 years, Republicans will be the ones guiding the country, whether to the effect of good or harm. Only time will tell. For Democrats, this is a time not to name call. Not a time to label those who disagree as racists, misogynists or just bigots, which only belittles the effects of those words. It's a time to reflect on why the election was lost.

All the way back in July, Trevor Noah of "The Daily Show" put it best saying, "Both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are running against the only candidate they could possibly beat. Take a moment with that thought."

For the first time in our country's history, the two largest parties selected candidates who were more unfavorable than favorable and weren't necessarily trusted by the public on either side. When at least, in the American people's eyes, Hillary Clinton is put in the same category for being unliked and for being as untrustworthy as Donald Trump.

The reason Hillary was unliked and found to be untrustworthy did not come down to gender. One of the most recently influential senators of the Democratic party who was given consideration for the VP ticket for Hillary Clinton was Elizabeth Warren, who consistently had strong polling in favorability ratings and even goes beyond the Democratic party.

According to a study in late September done by the Morning Consult, after sorting through collected polling data of every senator in the United States it found favorability ratings in many female senators from both parties. Susan Collins of Maine (the 2nd highest favorability rating only behind Bernie Sanders) Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, Barbara Mikulski of Maryland, Mazie Hirono of Hawaii, Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire, Patty Murray of Washington with six additional female senators who also poll higher in favorability.

This election came down to the idea of change; the American people are discontent, jobs continue to be outsourced, Americans are returning to the workforce for lesser pay than what they had before they had started, and there is an increasingly shrinking middle-class. People begin to believe America is not so great because it no longer works for them.

What America needed was change, and they were given two choices. The first was former first lady, two-time senator of New York, and former secretary of state, Hillary Clinton who, although highly qualified, to most represented the very establishment that had left so many disillusioned with the political process. The second was Donald Trump, the brash businessman who, with his many inflammatory statements, spoke of change through his populist message of bringing back those jobs which had been outsourced and talked about "draining the swamp" and the taking down the "Washington Elite" with his campaign slogan of "Making America Great Again."

Hillary Clinton came off as unrelatable and detached from the average American though there is evidence that she would agree to this later in a transcript released by Wikileaks.

Donald Trump would have been an easy candidate to defeat if the DNC had not specifically favored Hillary Clinton and had allowed Bernie Sanders to have a fair chance to win the nomination. This is not to say the whole contest was rigged by any means, though. It was very clear that from the information provided by WikiLeaks, the DNC gave Hillary Clinton special treatment.

That's not saying Bernie Sanders would have won the nomination, but when the information was leaked, many Democratic voters felt betrayed by the DNC because it felt as if their vote did not count. There are countless reasons for the way things turned out which is why this may end up being part 1 of a multi-part story.

But, for now, Democratic voters have to stay vigilant in the Trump era so as to not allow the turn back of years of work done by the Obama Administration and realize, in two years, many seats are up. At the same time, they need to push the DNC to represent the American people better so that we will never have another 2016 election.