3 Events During My First Week Of College Remind Of High School

From Class of 2016 to Class of 2020

52

Four years ago, I began high school. And now, I am beginning my life at Bryn Mawr. I am a week and a half into my freshmen year right now. Some of the events that happened in these first ten days or so remind me of my very first day of high school which I still have very vivid memories of.

Background information: My high school is made up of students from eight public elementary schools that go from Kindergarten to eighth grade. I went to one of those elementary schools.

Here is a brief summary of that first day way back: I stood at the front of my high school with my advisory group which was made of a teacher, four mentors in their junior year, some other freshmen I did not know, and of course myself. I eagerly waited to walk into the outdoor quadrangle, which was located in the middle of the building. We all entered the quad just to listen to the deans and the principal make some welcoming remarks. A couple hours later, I went back to the quad for a barbeque lunch.

1) Welcome Assembly:

On my first day of college, there was a welcome assembly which took place in the school’s theater. Parents sat in the audience while students of the Class of 2020 sat on stage. Several people, including upper class students and the dean of admissions, made some welcoming remarks. The dean of admissions as a Bryn Mawr graduate herself described the school vibe as “dynamic”. To me, this means that there is so much going on whether it be the vast array of extracurricular activities, never before academic opportunities, or seizing every chance to make new friends. You can always find something to do that will keep you on your toes at Bryn Mawr. The dean of my college said that everyone will make mistakes no matter what happens. What do you expect? Humans are not robots. We fall at times but that brings us back up even higher.

Four years ago, my high school principal said, “you have to make mistakes, but failure is not okay.” Some juniors quoted from Olympic athletes (my first day was a month after the London Olympics) emphasizing perseverance and determination. Athletes succeeded because of their ability to learn from their darkest days. In fact, Michael Phelps did not win a single medal during his first Olympics and now look at him today covered in all that gold. The only difference between these two welcome assemblies were that parents were not present on the first day of high school. The main message is that mistakes are inevitable whether you are in high school or college.

2) Convocation Picnic:

On the first day of classes, the college hosted a picnic with summer themed food on a field. I remembered eating rice and salmon while drinking ginger lemonade. At first I was afraid of trying beverages with ginger but I craved for something juicy which motivated me to fight my fear. I never knew ginger lemonade could be so refreshing. I sat with people from my dorm while there was loud music blaring from the speakers. The only frustrating part was being in the long line of people while waiting to get food. Students from all four classes were at the picnics. Here’s to three more picnics like this.

During the first day of high school barbecue, I ate a hot dog and sat with my friends from middle school. I remember being excited to still see my friends while also getting to know new people. I am pretty sure everyone around me was feeling that way too. This day, students were still hanging out with their friends from their elementary school. There was no such thing as a long line because only freshmen, junior mentors, and transfer students were present.

3) Parade Night

I just took part Bryn Mawr’s first tradition of the school year which is Parade Night. My dorm has a tradition of wearing all black and red lipstick for that one night. I wore my black nightgown and borrowed a friend’s lipstick which was the color of blood. I also put on some black eyeshadow. I guess I stepped up my pre-Halloween game. The freshmen marched from the outside area near the dining hall through dorm with an arch. Pretty scenic. While marching, upperclass students showered us with glitter while chanting “2020”. Afterwards, we got together to sing school songs that may haunt us for the rest of our lives. Finally, came the best part of the night: we the freshmen walked along a path surrounded by the upperclass students singing a beautiful lullaby while holding lanterns and drinks (disclaimer: I did not drink). I greeted some familiar faces and felt very loved and at home. It was almost as if I was trapped in a room of angels.

The lullaby went like this:

Goodnight, goodnight

Time sends a warning call

Sweet dreams descend on all Time,

Time sends a warning call

My first day of high school was a far cry from Parade Night yet shared the idea of feeling welcome while taking that special walk. As I entered into the quad with everyone else, we were all surrounded by faculty clapping their hands loudly while the school’s jazz band ensemble played a tune with an upbeat vibe. I did not get that feeling of awe from hearing that lullaby but the teachers with their welcoming attitudes made me say to myself “This is high school” while I joyfully listened to the jazz band.