How To Survive Group Projects In College

A 10-Step Survival Guide To Group Projects

Some much needed advice on group projects and how to get through them.

49

Do you have a group project coming up soon? Are you already in the midst of one? Did you just finish one and don't know how to survive the next one? Here is a list of 11 tips to survive your group project — it's going to be okay!

1. Immediately set a time to meet

Setting a meeting time is imperative. Meeting for the first time can be really helpful to get a project off the ground. DO NOT meet only once — that's the mistake most people make! One meeting does not help everyone to know what they need to do or have clarification on the assignment. It also makes it hard to communicate with your group-mates.

2. Get everyone's contact information

Speaking of communication, you should also get all of your groupmates contacts. Using social media like Instagram or Snapchat is not efficient enough when you are trying to get a big project done. Apps like GroupMe or Messenger are a lot more accessible and make group messaging less of a struggle.

3. Get familiar with everyone's schedule

Scheduling is key, especially when working on a project that can take weeks at a time. This is good to do with things like group projects for finals or a group capstone or paper. Additionally, it helps you to get to know your groupmates' schedules better — you'll know if they're busy and cannot do something on certain nights. You'll know when it is appropriate to contact your groupmates.

4. Get started right away

It's okay if there are a few days before you meet or start on anything, but do not procrastinate. The responsibilities of a group project can snowball if you do not get on them right away. Even if it is just small tasks, anything that puts a dent in the work makes it easier on you and your group.

5. Periodically check on each other

It is always good to check in. If you just finished a big part of the project or what you were assigned, let your group know. They might go look at it and catch something you missed. Maybe you're running late and want to let them know so they don't think you bailed. These are updates and notices about the progress of the project.

I know, it's easier said than done, but keep reading

Are you the person that has had terrible group experiences? Then, here are five tips for how to get through a group project under strained circumstances.

1. Bother them

If your groupmates are not answering your texts or emails, you have to get aggressive, No, you don't have to go full blown stalker, but you should not leave it to one message. Keep persisting until you get a response, and don't forget to be respectful. Write a polite email or send them a text checking up on them. Personally, a message a day is the way to go.

2. Communicate with your teacher

Groupmates still not answering? Talk to a teacher about the situation. Send them an email the second you realize this is becoming a problem. They'll most likely want to meet with you and/or your group about the matter. They might also send an email to the members in question to help.

3. Start on the project yourself

Even if you can't get in contact with your groupmates, get started anyway. Waiting will only leave more work for you down the road. Do what is manageable for you and the others if they're still involved.

4. The three-strike rule

Three strikes is a good rule of thumb. If you have sent messages 3 days straight, they've skipped 3 meetings, or you have had to discuss with the teacher 3 times. At this point, and I hate to say it, you should stop counting on those who are absent. If your teacher advises it, do not put their name on the project. Inform your other group-mates about the issue and come up with a new game plan. Unless you've found yourself working alone, then do your best. YOU GOT THIS!

5. Forgive them as well as yourself

When all is said and done, forgive. You're human and they're human. Everyone slips up sometimes. Those group members who weren't there were probably going through a lot right now or maybe they had other responsibilities and issues of their own. School can be hard for anyone. So go, concur those group assignments!