5 Ways Summer Camp Prepared Me For My First College Semester

Overnight camp taught me so much more than I could ever explain.

482
Greater Philly

When my parents first signed me up for my seven week overnight camp, I thought it was just their way to get me out of the house. I had the time of my life for ten summers, making best friends and memories that would never fade. But camp was more than just finding ways to sit out of soccer leagues and cheering in the dining hall. Overnight camp provided me with so much more, that I would come to find out when I experienced my first semester at college.

1. I experienced being away from home

For seven weeks, we lived in a cabin with beds and bathrooms. With little personal space, we learned how to make a home out of the little we had available to us. I learned how to live without the luxuries of technology and my own private bathroom - I learned communal living. This is something that can often shock people when they enter college, as they have never experienced living away from home before.

2. I learned how to live with people

In a small cabin with 11 girls and three to four counselors, spaces are cramped and voices are loud. While that may sound insane to some people, it was a priceless experience. Not only did I create amazing bonds with my bunkmates, but I also learned how to live in close quarters with other people, some people who did not have the same living habits as me. Whether we were living with messy bunkmates or loud bunkmates, we had to accept all living conditions and make the most of them. This helps prepare for your first semester, as you might have never had to share a room with someone else before.

3. I learned how to take care of myself

There were days that we would wake up to revile at 8 a.m. and not get to bed until 11 p.m. with millions of activities in between. While some of these days felt long and hot, it taught me how to take care of my health. I became aware of how much I needed to eat and how much I needed to drink on my own, as my parents would not be there to push me to eat more or drink more water. When I wasn't feeling well, I learned that it was more important to get a good night's rest rather than stay up until the crack of dawn playing Cooking Mama and jacks. This allowed me to understand how my body works, and what it needs to be healthy. This is crucial to the first semester in college, as your body may not be used to what college does to it.

4. I learned responsibility for my actions

If our bunk didn't pass inspection or we were caught writing on whiteboards in other bunks (cough cough), sometimes we would have to kiss canteen or freeplay goodbye. Our actions had consequences, even if our parents weren't there to tell us what to do. This allowed me to realize at a young age that I must respect authority and those around me, even if my parents are not there to make sure I am polite. This is crucial in college, as each of your actions has a consequence. Whether you want to skip a class or cheat on an assignment, there will always be a consequence for it.

5. I learned how to make irreplaceable bonds

The girls you lived with became your sisters. They knew everything about you and you knew everything about them. Your bonds were unbreakable and unmatchable, and every last day of camp put a pit in your stomach. The thing about camp friendships is that they were pure and honest. There was no social media or group chats to cause arguments. This helped me understand what true friendships are, and taught me what type of friends I wanted to have in college.