How state to state auto transport has revolutionized traveling

Car shipping is a far more straightforward process than many people think, and it's the perfect option if you want to move your car long distances. It's now possible to take your car with you, for example, if you're planning a long vacation on the East Coast.

8

Car shipping is a far more straightforward process than many people think, and it's the perfect option if you want to move your car long distances. It's now possible to take your car with you, for example, if you're planning a long vacation on the East Coast. It also works well if you're relocating down south for the winter or heading north for the summer. Auto transport is a convenient and affordable way to take your car with you whenever you're traveling.

If you choose to ship a car to another state, you don't have to spend countless hours of the day sitting behind the wheel, get stressed because you're sat in traffic, or have to worry about what the weather is going to do. You won't have the expense of using a rental or be forced into purchasing a new car when you don't want to part with your faithful sedan.

It sounds pretty simple, but let's show you how it all works, and you can decide for yourself whether it's the best option for you.

How the car shipping process works

There are several different ways cars are shipped, for example, by airplane or by train. They are also shipped by boat. All that aside, the most common way to ship a vehicle is using an open auto transport carrier. Trucks and trailers used by auto transport carriers are a common sight on the highway. You might also see them at your local car dealership delivering cars.

With this auto transport method, your car is exposed to the elements, but it is still an extremely affordable and safe way to ship a car to another state.

There is another option if you're the proud owner of a classic, vintage, rare, luxury, or custom car. Enclosed auto transport provides complete protection from the elements. The trailer has a roof and four walls which mean the cars inside are protected from traffic grime, dust, dirt, and the weather. For this car shipping service, you can expect to pay between 30% and 40% extra.

The cost of auto transport

Several factors can affect the total cost of an auto transport service.

• Distance: Longer trips cost more, although the average cost per mile is less.
  • Make and model of your car: It's cheaper to ship a smaller and lighter car. Bigger and heavier cars are more expensive.
  • Location: Shipping between major cities generally costs less than between more remote areas.
  • Time of the year: If you want to ship a car during the summer months, it will cost more because this is the peak time for people shipping their cars. Holidays are also an expensive time to ship a car.
How long does it take?

The time it takes to ship a car can be anything from one day to a week, depending on where you want to ship the car to and from. Car shipping drivers can cover, on average, 500 miles in one day. There are, however, several factors that can affect this timeframe.

• Distance: Shorter distances take less time.
  • Location: If pick-up and delivery locations are along a major interstate or near a city, the journey will be quicker.
  • Weather: The progress of your shipment will be hampered by inclement weather such as ice, snow, hail, hurricanes, tornado, or thunderstorms.
  • Issues on route: Heavy traffic, road construction, and detours can also affect the driver's progress.
  • Driver's hours: Driver's hours are limited by the Department of Transport.
Is the process complicated?

The process for shipping a car to another state is very straightforward and uncomplicated. You won't need to complete vast amounts of paperwork either. Unless that is, you're shipping a car from Hawaii to the mainland. In such a situation, you'll need to provide the following:

• Valid license and current registration for the vehicle
  • Proof of ownership, title, or bill of sale
  • Authorization from the lien holder if you've leased the vehicle
  • Information relating to the person who is responsible for picking up the vehicle
  • Certificate of safety inspection

One critical document that applies whether you're shipping from Hawaii or to and from anywhere else in the US is the Bill of Lading. This is a receipt for what's being loaded onto the carrier. On it, you and the driver record the condition of your vehicle before it's loaded and upon delivery.

It's also recommended that you check the shipping company's insurance terms and conditions. The best way to do this is to ask for a copy of them. It is a legal requirement for auto transport companies to carry insurance, but the specifics often vary, depending on the company. Read the details of the insurance document very carefully because you want to make sure you and your car are adequately covered.

Now you appreciate how easy it is to ship a car to another state, you shouldn't have to worry about leaving it behind. Whenever you're traveling, make the journey in the comfortable surroundings of a train, bus, or plane. Let an auto transport company ship your car, and it'll be there when you arrive at your destination.