'Shameless' Accurately Portrays Children Of Parents With Mental Illness And Substance Abuse Issues

The show depicts a reality for many children of addicts.

6746
bsnscb.com

I am obsessed with Showtime's dramedy series "Shameless." Ever since I became acquainted with the lovable and dysfunctional Gallagher clan, I have watched and rewatched every episode in the series.

Those who have seen the series are aware that father Frank Gallagher is an alcoholic who neglects his six children, leaving his eldest daughter Fiona Gallagher to raise her five siblings. One of the reasons I fell in love with the show so quickly is because of how much I can relate to it. I grew up in an environment similar (although not identical) to the Gallaghers and I noticed how five of the Gallagher siblings represent five of the personality subtypes that are found in adolescent and adult children of alcoholics.

Two studies were conducted by Jonathan Hinrichs, M.S., Jared DeFife, Ph. D, and Drew Westen, Ph.D. through the National Institute of Mental Health to validate potential personality subtypes in adolescents and adult children of alcoholics. The study mentions that over 28 million people in the United States are adult children of alcoholics.

The personality subtypes mentioned in the study are:

1. The Enabler (Rescuer)

2. The Hero

3. The Scapegoat (Rebel)

4. The Lost Child

5. The Mascot

Five of the Gallagher siblings represent one of these personality subtypes. (The youngest sibling, Liam Gallagher, does not seem to represent a personality subtype because of his age) I'll begin describing the traits of the personality subtypes starting with the oldest Gallagher, Fiona.

1. Fiona Gallagher - "The Hero"

Fiona, the eldest Gallagher, is a representation of the "Hero" or the "Responsible Child". According to Adult Children of Alcoholics of Arizona, the Hero is described as an achiever and a workaholic. Throughout the series, Fiona is often working multiple jobs to support her family to ensure the bills will be paid and food will be on the table. She frequently sacrifices her own well-being since she did not have a choice early on in her life when she was "forced" to take care of her younger siblings.

2. Lip Gallagher - "The Mascot"

Lip Gallagher often uses humor and sarcasm. He is known for being a "smart ass" by relatives, friends, and teachers. He frequently makes quips about situations and outsmarts others. We have also seen Lip engage in illegal behaviors, such as theft and destruction of property. According to the ACA of Arizona, the mascot uses humor or other distracting behavior, such as being exceptionally clumsy or always in trouble.

3. Ian Gallagher - "The Lost Child"

Ian Gallagher is an example of the "lost child." In the series, we see Ian drifting at times and trying to find his own way. The lost child "adopts whatever behavior that will allow them to stay invisible," according to ACA of Arizona. In the series, there are instances when he distances himself from the family, which is something a "lost child" might do to avoid feeling pain and sadness.

4. Debbie Gallagher - "The Enabler/Rescuer"

Debbie Gallagher is a prime example of the "enabler"/"rescuer." Earlier in the series, we see Debbie trying to help her father Frank by doing what he asks her to do, even if it is toxic. If he asks her for alcohol or money, she does what she can to get him alcohol or money. As Debbie grows up throughout the series, she continues the role by trying to help people who she believes are in need, even if it may be harmful to her well-being. The ACA of Arizona states, "The Rescuer finds those in need, lets them move in or marries them or finds a job for them while supplying other needs and is very understanding of the frequent betrayals."

5. Carl Gallagher - The Scapegoat/Rebel

Carl Gallagher is portrayed as the "scapegoat" or the "rebel" of the family. Throughout the series, Carl frequently acts out by bullying others in school, participating in destructive behaviors and becoming involved in criminal activity at a young age. The scapegoat/rebel may try to help the family by acting out, such as Carl does in the show by stealing to help provide for his family.

Of course, the Gallaghers and any children/adult children of alcoholics are not confined to one personality subtype. Those who grow up with parents/guardians who suffer from alcoholism/drug addiction display a variety of traits known as "the laundry list" by Adult Children of Alcoholics World Service Organization that are harmful and detrimental, yet become familiar and it can become difficult to learn or adapt to healthy behaviors. I know this from my own personal experience.

As an adult child of an alcoholic, I would classify my personality subtype as an enabler/rescuer, but I have also been the hero and the lost child at different stages in my life.

The School of Public Health Alcohol Awareness at West Virginia University provides a clear list of behavioral roles of children of alcoholics for those who want to learn more about these personality traits.

Although Shameless is a television show, the events and situations they go through with their father Frank and their mother Monica are all too real, difficult and tragic for many individuals.