How Pride 2020 Is Getting Back To It's Roots

Although Pride parades may be cancelled, protesting for the Black Lives Matter movement is an important part of showing solidarity and fighting for those who fought for us.

10

Yay! It's finally June, which is infamously Pride month. Although this month is usually full of parades, glitter, costumes, and gatherings of fun-loving queer people, this year will undoubtedly be different. Covid-19 restrictions in the U.S. emphasize the dangers of large gatherings, which is why we've stayed home all of this time. This unfortunately means that most pride parades, although unannounced as of now, will be canceled or postponed, due to high volume. But, queer people and queer allies are more than happy to stand in solidarity with the Black Lives Matter and fight against injustice -- which isn't a new concept for them.

Here's a tiny history lesson on why Pride and BLM go hand in hand. Marsha P. Johnson, a black transgender woman, was an LGBTQIA+ rights activist for most of her life. She participated in the Stonewall Riots that we now remember as a catalyst in the fight for gay liberation. Marsha is known for throwing the first brick at Stonewall, and being one of the most prominent activists in the revolution.

So it's safe to say that without a black, transgender woman, queer people would not have the rights that we do today. Therefore, being able to protest this month, (and always), for the rights of our black peers in an intersectional way is just how Pride is supposed to be. Fight for your black peers, because they fought for you. Fight for your black peers because they are human and deserve to be treated justly. We can't be free until we are all free.

Here are some ways that you, as a queer, or non-queer ally, can contribute the movement -- from home and out in the community.

Donate.

Photo by Markus Winkler on Unsplash

Money is powerful, so donating to the movement is very important and can be done from home. Linked are a ton of websites where you can donate to bail funds, Black-owned businesses, and other helpful resources for the Black community. Make sure to double-check that anywhere you're donating to is reliable and preferably Black-owned.

Read, read, read.

macro photo of five assorted booksPhoto by Syd Wachs on Unsplash

If you're looking for ways to become a better ally, make sure to do your research -- on your own time. It isn't the responsibility of your Black friends to educate you on their liberation. Be willing to seek out different types of literature and media that will enlighten you about the movement so you can spread your knowledge and assist in a meaningful way.

Organize or attend peaceful protests in your area or major cities nearby.

people standing and walking on street during daytimePhoto by Koshu Kunii on Unsplash

Although this last one may not be available for everyone, some feel as though if they aren't actively spreading awareness aside from the internet, their help is merely performative. Attend safe protests where strangers will see your message. Draw attention to the desperate call for action in support of Black lives. Remember, cities are bigger and tend to contribute a larger voice.

Above are just a few basic ways that you can contribute, but there are so many other simple ways to do your part.

It's very important that the LGBTQIA+ community take action during this period of injustice. This is what Pride is about -- freedom from the oppressive chains that are unnecessarily tight, lending a hand to other groups in need, being a strong ally, and fighting fiercely for what is right.