How To Help The Black Lives Matter Movement If You Can't Attend Protests

Four ways to help the BLM Movement and 50+ resources to sign or donate to for those of us who can't attend protests!

11

The onset of the Black Lives Matter movement unleashed a power all over the world that surprised many of us, myself included (in a positive way, of course). It was truly beautiful to see so many people come together to fight for a cause we all believed in - racial equality for black people all over the world. For centuries, America specifically has been plagued with racial inequality and systematic racism that has affected many people of color, but has affected black people in the worst ways. We have seen hundreds of cases of innocent black people murdered by police and racists. It is high time this inequality must end.

Despite the number of coronavirus cases increasing around the world, many people flocked to the streets to protest the inequality that has plagued not just America, but the whole world, for hundreds of years. However, many passionate citizens are unable to attend these protests. This is okay! There are tons of ways you can help out from your own home.

Educating Yourself and Those Around You

One of the best things you can do is to educate yourself with what is happening as well as those around you. Stay on top of the news, especially social media outlets. These are some of the most powerful conveyors of updates, especially because there has been a lot of evidence of news channels skewing the truth about peaceful protests on news channels. Don't be afraid to educate your parents and call out any racist behavior, no matter how mild it is. I know this can be scary, but in times like these, everyone needs to grow and learn. In the end, you'll be doing yourself and them a favor by educating them.

Donate!

There are tons of places you can donate to, such as the Black Lives Matter movement itself or the various GoFundMes of the victims who have died as a result of police brutality. A link will be included at the bottom of this article to several different organizations and sites you can donate to to support the BLM movement.

Take To Social Media

Spreading the truth about what is happening at protests can be an eye-opener for many people who are unaware that these protests initially start out peaceful but are turned violent by many police officers themselves. In these situations, social media, such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook, can be powerful tools to spread the truth.

Sign Petitions

Signing petitions is much more powerful than many people realize. Through signing petitions, we were able to bring appropriate to the murderer of George Floyd as well as bring justice to many other victims. But we still have a long way to go. Signing petitions only takes a couple of minutes but, like voting, each and every signature counts. A link at the bottom of the article provides resources to 50+ petitions you can sign and links you can donate to in order to make a difference and help this movement progress.

Link to petitions and donation websites: https://linktr.ee/nikihari

Now more than ever, our black brothers and sisters are calling upon our help to achieve something they should have gotten from the moment they were born: equality. By abolishing and condemning racists and racist behavior, we can finally make this dream a reality. Even if you can't attend protests, there are tons of things you can do from the comfort of your home to help this movement and to finally make American equal.