How Pandemics Like the Coronavirus Spur Racist Sentiments
News

No matter where you are, you should remain vigilant about the movement of the virus and its effect on the population. If we all look out for one another, hopefully, everything will work out just fine.

25

Despite the deadly seriousness of the coronavirus, the actions taken by United States officials do not align with the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO), according to an article published in the L.A. Times. Fortunately, officials have thus far stopped the virus from entering the United States. However, there's little proof that quarantines work in modern society, and some thought-leaders are questioning the motivation behind sticking with this outdated practice.

In France, a newspaper announced a Yellow Alert in bold letters next to the image of a face mask-wearing Chinese woman. The concept of the Yellow Peril comes from a dated, racist concept that targets Asian and Western citizens. Apparently, racism is alive and well around the world.

The Unsavory Truth About Racism in America

In the United States, race relations are slowly improving. That change has to come from within. Accordingly, more organizational leaders have put serious thought into promoting cultural competence.

More and more, stories hit the media about Caucasian people calling the police on brown people, according to a report published by Demos.org – "Social Inclusion: The Decisions and Dynamics that Drive Racism." It's getting to the point that stories of racism in America are becoming unbearable, and at the same time, the numbing status quo.

As these unfortunate incidents unfold, various health organizations across the nation treat an increasingly diverse population. A nurse may treat a patient that was born in a different country and isn't familiar with the U.S. health care system. Meanwhile, another nurse may treat a patient whose religious or cultural beliefs stop them from receiving needed care.

Still, nurses work through these obstacles with compassion and tact. This act is what's called cultural competence. By expanding their knowledge and skills as well as their awareness of cultural differences, nurses can effectively treat a diverse range of patients.

When Viruses Go Viral

From the plagues of the 1600s to the current coronavirus outbreak, widespread diseases have a tendency to go viral. Along with that outbreak of information, comes misinformation and rumors. Unfortunately, social media makes it easier than ever to spread misinformation.

Case in point, the World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the coronavirus a global epidemic. The attention garnered by such an event has led to a whirlwind of errors and lies spread across platforms such as WeChat and Twitter. Now, lies and rumors about the coronavirus are spreading just as much as the disease – and causing an equal amount of public concern.

For example, a recent TikTok post suggests that an unnamed entity launched the coronavirus against its own people in China. The TikTok platform is trendy among teens. Platform officials have already pledged to crack down on misleading information prior to the coronavirus outbreak. However, it appears that the promise was just lip service, as TikTok representatives have done nothing to stop the spread of misinformation about the coronavirus.

One discredited social media influencer – Kerri Rivera – advised her followers to drink bleach to protect themselves from the coronavirus, according to an ABC Australia News Network story. The same kind of dubious information is making its way across popular platforms, such as Instagram, says the report. On the platform, Jada Hai Phong Nguyen – an Instagram influencer with 90,000 members in his audience – compared the coronavirus to a zombie movie and mixed practical information with nonsensical advice such as a warning not to eat wildlife animals.

Reining in the Deadly Coronavirus

As the coronavirus claims more lives in places such as Wuhan, researchers are getting closer to finding a cure. According to the WHO, immunization stops 2 to 3 million deaths every year. Furthermore, immunization innovations continue to improve those results.

Resultantly, you need to understand the various kinds of vaccines and recommendations. As a parent, for instance, the best way to keep track of your child's immunizations is to confer with their pediatrician.

The ABC Australia news report also highlights the musings of Derryn Hinch on Twitter. On the platform, the now infamous personality supports the logic of sending coronavirus suspects to Christmas Island.

That remark was all it took to spark a fire. Many in the Twitter audience felt that the comment was demeaning and racist.

ABC viewers were highly agitated. Some were furious, not because the comment was racist – but because they wanted authorities to stop more Chinese people from entering the country. It looks like the coronavirus is bringing out the worst in some individuals. One thing's for sure, people are scared. The coronavirus is not a fight for the Chinese alone – it's a global fight.

From Your Site Articles