How To Learn From Your Younger Self

How To Learn From Your Younger Self

10 year old you deserved better, and so do you.

23
How To Learn From Your Younger Self

Before leaving for college after seven months of quarantine, I found myself dusting off old scrapbooks that live in my mom's office. Then I clicked through years of files on her slow and loud early 2000s laptop. I had not seen these pictures in years. I found old pictures of my siblings, younger versions of my parents, and some hilarious and adorable pictures of myself.

I felt drawn to my younger self. As long as I can remember, I have struggled with self image, thinking I am not good enough, pretty enough, skinny enough, funny enough for people. Looking my elementary school self in the eyes, I realized none of it was true. I am enough. Dressed up in funny costumes of my own creation or posing with a Cheeto like a cigarette, I found myself laughing. Holding my newborn baby sister or helping my younger brother climb a tree with me, I saw the immense compassion I held. Standing in my dirt biking gear, pink helmet in hand, I saw a confidence and bravery that showed in my face.

Presently, I find myself leaving a relationship and once again dealing with the feeling that I am anything but good enough. One particularly depressing night, I opened the "throwbacks" album on my phone. It contained all of the images of myself that I had transferred from my moms outdated laptop. Again, I was flooded with the realization that my self-worth is not based on the people around me, but is built from my experiences. No matter what happens, I am this little girl who's face beams in the photos.

After glancing through the nostalgic images again, I exiled any doubt I had about myself from the hurtful ending to a relationship. I realized that I would never let my younger self be treated in any way that was not respectful and wholeheartedly loving. Bad-ass dirt biker me would never have stood to be mistreated. My current self would probably beat up anyone who tried to hurt these innocent versions of myself. So I made the decision then and there, that I deserve better. From friends, relationships, and most importantly myself. I am the only one who can always be there for myself, because I am uniquely created with talents and passions that others don't. Anyone who doesn't see that is at a loss.

So next time that you have been burned by someone, I urge you to take a trip down memory lane and remind yourself who you are. It helped me realize that if I care for people with my whole heart and would never purposefully hurt them, then I deserve nothing less in return--and the same goes for you!