How Music Has Shaped Me Into A Better Person

"Rock and Alternative music have made me feel like I have a voice, even if my voice is lost in a sea of voices."

668
Pexels.com

Music has always been a big part of my life. From my adorable four-year-old self in a cute daycare song recital to being in the chorus for four years, to even now, where I am learning how to play instruments like the guitar and the violin. Music has always been there. Music has always helped me see the best in life, even when things were falling apart in my life. Music was there when I was an elementary kid in the car singing along to country music, when I was in my "awkward" junior high phase when I wore LOTS of makeup and thought I was oh so "emo/scene", to my breakup's and the seemingly endless hours of chorus practice. Music has been there for me at my best, and my worst. No guy can ever replace music because when he's out of my life, music will always be there and wouldn't think I'm a weirdo if I decide to listen to musicals and sing and dance along, or if I want to listen to a slow song and slow dance by myself. I don't know who or what I would be without music.

I remember when I first started listening to rock music and bands like "Panic! at the Disco" and "Fall Out Boy", and "Paramore" or "Flyleaf". I was first introduced to PATD, and I remember being OBSESSED with "I write sins not tragedies". I feel like I quite literally grew up with some of these bands in a way because I first listened to "I write sins not tragedies" the same year it came out, and all because one of my friends and my step sister wanted to kind of make a dance to go along with it while in the carport area and I just so happened to join them. I think growing up around rock music has pushed me to want to make rock music myself. Rock and Alternative music have made me feel like I have a voice, even if my voice is lost in a sea of voices. It has made me want to project my passion in creative and productive ways.

Chorus was four years of sweat, tears, and a lot of hard work and determination. I remember learning the chorus version of "Beauty and the Beast" in eighth grade, and every time one of the songs come on from that movie, I burst out into song and act kind of like a diva. I remember going to Music Performance Assessments(MPA) and loving the thrill of being up on stage and singing my heart out along my friends and fellow students. Every MPA felt amazing. I remember going to Busch Gardens in eighth grade as a chorus and band trip, and the chorus, which was only seven girls who could actually go, we performed down in Tampa if I remember correctly, in an MPA-like thing. I was one of the seven girls, and we did a fantastic job. That trip was a lot of fun. In high school, we also went to MPA's and had lots of fun, but there were also many different voice parts that I had gotten introduced to. I auditioned to be in All County Chorus, and every time I auditioned, I was accepted, and it was so much fun every time I went. I went from a Soprano in eighth grade, to a Soprano 2 in Sophomore and Junior year, then to an Alto my senior year. I learned so much from Chorus, I am so blessed to have had the chance to be in Chorus. I am so happy to have found who I am in music.