A Thank You Letter To My High School Chorus

For the incredible memories.

150
Janita Ducharme

All my life, I’ve been a singer. It started with my mom occasionally humming three note intervals at the table, encouraging my toddler self to sing the notes back to her. My parents played music for me -- all types of music -- ranging from The Beatles to Mozart. At a very young age, I fell in love with music.

As a kid, I sung in the children's choir at my church, as well as participating in the school musical performances. I absolutely loved to sing. In the 5th grade, I took up the clarinet, and played throughout middle school in the band. By the time I reached the 8th grade, I was forced to make a very difficult decision. As a freshman, I could take Band or Chorus. But, I couldn’t take both. I was torn because while I loved to sing, I also loved to play the clarinet, and I became close to the people I played with. As the deadline for the class request approached, I still couldn’t decide. After much sleep loss and coin flipping, I decided to take Band.

Then one night, my mom took my Aunt and I to a chorus concert at the high school, a concert celebrating 50 years of music for the “Clef Singers”. The Clef Singers were the elite choral group at the high school, and even though my mom didn’t attend Cumberland High School, nor sing in the group, she thought it would be cool to see.

So I went, sitting on the bleachers in the crowded Wellness Center, listening to the beautiful music -- music made by the current Clef Singers and alumni. One of the final pieces sung was the “Hallelujah Chorus”, a powerful, almost electrifying piece. I was hooked. It was that concert that made my decision. I wanted ever so badly to be a Clef Singer, to sing in the next reunion concert. It was in that moment that I knew I had to take chorus.

When I entered Cumberland High School, I started my chorus classes; the number one thing I was excited about. I knew it was where I belonged. Within a month of my freshman year, I was able to audition for the Clef Singers, knowing that there was a great possibility that I wouldn't make it. But this was something I really wanted to do, so I nervously entered the chorus room with my prepared song, and met my amazing teacher, Susan Alves, who had been teaching music for nearly 30 years. I sang for her, and waited a few more days for the results. After what seemed like forever, I received a letter during advisory --a letter I still have --that congratulated me on my acceptance into the group. This was the beginning of an amazing four years.

I sung in the Clef Singers and chorus for my four years at Cumberland High School, and was even encouraged by my teachers, Ms. Alves, and after her, the awesome Janita Ducharme, to audition for All-State. Singing in these groups and challenging myself with music reminded me of how much I love music, and it was all because I had teachers that challenged me to do well, to keep improving, and to study music I may never have listened to without them. As a Clef Singer, I was fortunate enough to compete in not only statewide, but national competitions, as well as having leadership roles in the group. But most importantly, I was given a family, one that maybe spent too much time together, but was content with it. The chorus room for me, and for many others, was my “safe haven” in the school, a place we could hang out in after classes, have lunch in, and even take naps in. My teachers made this a comfortable and fun environment for us.

I graduated from high school knowing that I wouldn’t be able to stop singing. I needed to find my “safe haven” at my new school --my outlet essentially. I joined the chorus at Rhode Island College, and so far, it has been both the most fun and terrifying thing I’ve ever done. I spent the first couple weeks with my new group wondering if I was cut out for it. I am surrounded by extremely talented musicians, and being a non-music major, I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to keep up with them. And the music is harder than ever. Thanks, Bach... But I can’t stop what I love doing. And my professor and fellow choir members have been so kind to me, and encourage me to do well, just as my choir friends in high school did. They have been nothing but welcoming to me. It seems that every musician I’ve encountered is nice. But maybe I’m biased.

As I continue to improve and find my place in the new chorus, I wanted to give a shout out to my beloved Clef Singers, whom I miss dearly. Thank you for believing in me as your leader, and giving me the best four years of my life so far. You are an incredible group of singers and friends, and I can’t wait to see what you’ll do in the years ahead. As cheesy as it is, we are part of one big “Clef Family” and I am proud to call myself a member of it. So keep singing, and keep being the awesome people you are. Thank you all for everything.