How To Move To Canada

How To Move To Canada

A guide on how to be Trump-free.

16
How To Move To Canada

Here’s to everyone who said that “if Trump wins, I’m moving to Canada.” That includes Jennifer Lawrence, Raven-Symoné, and Whoopi Goldberg. Provided is the process of becoming a Canadian citizen in a nutshell to that will help you deciding whether to pledge to the Trump-free land of maple syrup.

Step 1: Have some sort of visa.

In order to become a Canadian citizen, you can’t just pack your life and plop down in Toronto. The Canadian government doesn’t like that. You’ll need a tourist visa, which lasts you 6 months in a foreign country, and when that’s up, a work or school permit. So look into some Canadian universities. I hear the University of Toronto is a good one. Or you know, you could always marry a Canadian.

Step 2: Move to Canada.

Hurray! You’ve got your bags packed (and hopefully a good transfer school in the works). Be prepared to show forms of ID and proof of your current legal residency status; otherwise, you’ll be hammered down by Canadian border patrol.

Step 3: Obtain your “Maple Leaf Card”.

Also known as your Permanent Resident Card. Having a visa is not enough; this card will let you stay in Canada for an indefinite amount of time.

Step 4: Don’t leave Canada.

Once you are a permanent resident, you will need to prove that you’ve been in Canada for 1,095 days out of the past 4 years.They don’t have to be consecutive, so you can still travel. Just make sure you do your math right.

Step 5: Stay out of trouble.

If you’ve had a few nicks on your criminal record, most likely Canada will not want you there. After all, the crime rate is very low, they don’t want any criminals roaming the streets If you have been to prison or if you are on probation in the 3 years prior to when you want to become a citizen, you are not eligible. So make sure to have a clean record when you are applying for citizenship.

Step 6: Apply for citizenship.

Don’t worry, the application is online. I think it even works on mobile devices. Also, make sure to have $200 to drop when you’re applying. Study up on the booklet "Discover Canada: The Rights and Responsibilities of Citizenship." That one is for sure available on mobile devices, and there’s even an audio version voiced by Celine Dion or some other famous Canadian.

Step 7: Prove that you live and breathe Canada.

You’ll receive a “Notice to Appear” for your interview, and appear for your citizen oath. Once you sing the anthem and hold your new country’s flag, you’ll be good to go, eh.

Tips:

Don’t walk around pointing out how everything is so Canadian or how you moved here because of Trump. Try to assimilate into Canadian culture, as your new neighbors would appreciate that. Maybe learn some French if you’re moving to French Canadian territories like Quebec. Don’t worry: even if you can’t make some Canadian friends, I’m sure there will be plenty of fellow refugees that will want to connect with you as well.