I Asked People How They Really See Themselves And The Results Were Low-Key Savage

You'd be surprised how people will critique themselves when left anonymous...

266

It's very common that, when asked the opinion of themselves, people squirm. They don't like to share that information because, truthful or not, it's just how they see themselves. For years, I struggled with seeing myself for who I am; a kind individual who often times cares too much for others and gets emotional about everything. Even with my looks, I can be told I'm beautiful so many times my brain hears it in my sleep, but it won't make me see anything other than average.

I thought I was strange for seeing both the good and not so good qualities of myself. For seeing things that were true and some that, by everyone else's ideas of me, not. I was set to find out if I was the only one who thought this way when it came to my own opinions of myself. The results, kind of shocked me...

19, Female

"I know that I'm kind, selfless, and courageous but I'm incredibly self conscious and I worry about my body ALL the time. I'm careful with my social interactions and I'll always rethink them when I'm alone. People always comment on how outgoing and confident I am, but if they only were in my head and saw how much anger I have..."

21, Male

"I see myself as a rookie. I have a good mindset for what I want to do with my life, but I haven't learned everything yet. I also see myself as a self-critical kid who can't communicate with what he really wants in life."

21, Female

"I see myself in two ways, the positive truth and the more negative part that I know isn't quite as true. The positive truth is that I'm a hard-working, dedicated person who knows what she wants in life, who's grown a lot over time and is a much more confident, happier person with more of a purpose in life. Someone that has talent and decent looks, despite what the voice in her head says. The negative view is I'm not that pretty, that I have to work twice as hard as everyone else to be "normal" in looks and behavior, that I'm not that talented, that I don't have a perfect body, that I'm someone who tries too hard and yet still things don't often work out. And it sucks because there's some truth to the negative view, which makes me have to constantly remind myself not to get sucked into the negative viewpoint."

20, Female

"I'm trying to improve myself on all these fronts but honestly I feel like a really rude judgmental person that simultaneously hates myself and thinks I'm better than anyone else. I feel like i can slide by in school without putting in the work but that when I do I just feel worse about myself because I could do a lot better if I actually tired. I also feel fat and lazy and have trouble loving myself and allowing other people to love me..."

19, Female

"I see myself as someone who is happy with life but is lost in direction. I know what I'm doing, but I have no idea what I'm doing for the rest of my life."

21, Female

"Fat, ugly, gross"

20, Female

"Strong and confident but sometimes too worried about pleasing everyone."

36, Female

"Unaccomplished and useless"

55, Female

"I'm comfortable with who I am as a person for the most part. I struggle with the natural aging process... wishing I could have stayed 30 forever...But I feel that I look decent for my age. I'm honest and a hard worker. I feel I'm a good spouse also."

20, Female

"I think I'm really good at appearing confident to others, but on the inside, I second guess everything I do and am very self conscious. I don't like my body and I think it's held me back a lot in life, but I think my personality is pretty cool."

20, Female

"Too shy and reserved, but also loyal, compassionate, and intelligent..."

35, Female

"I see myself as kind in personality. Physically I'd like to lose weight and be more active, though I rarely see myself as pretty. Though the are some very rare days that I do think I'm pretty."

20, Female

"Strong, thoughtful, courageous. A lot of women my age are really insecure, but whether you are or aren't, it still takes an immense amount of courage to be yourself every day. And so I consider myself courageous for this reason. Being yourself is beautiful no matter what you may look like on the outside or to others."

19, Female

"I honestly see myself as ugly and fat. I am confident in myself but also am very honest. Sure, I know I can have a better skin care routine, take care of my nails better, my hair, but I'm not interested. I know I shouldn't get Del Taco at 10pm because it'll go straight to my thighs. I'm confident in myself where I can wear what I want, eat in front of people, but I see myself as what I am, unattractive and overweight."

While most of the responses were from females, the answers all were generally the same. Most were able to say at least one thing they liked about themselves despite the negativity they were fighting against. What surprised me was that, not many of them discussed their appearance. The question I had asked was "How do you see yourself?" That could've been taken in different ways. Some could have taken it as physical traits, but most took it as personality and morals.

It's enlightening to see that people also struggle with coming to terms of the beauty that lies within them. They all know it's there, they just are learning to accept it.

Accepting flaws is easy, accepting the beauty everyone else sees is not.