How Do I Love Thee?

How Do I Love Thee?

Let me count the ways.

24
How Do I Love Thee?
Michael Lyons

Here's a big thank you to my parents who have supported me through everything: through my struggles, through my triumphs, through my sicknesses, through my injuries, through my heartbreaks and through my love songs. Without you, I wouldn't be where I am today.

I can't tell you how many times your guidance and gentle nudging pushed me to do things that I didn't think were possible. Whenever I was down on myself or my luck, you would spin the story to help me see another angle and another way to succeed. I can't begin to recall all of the instances in high school that I felt so burdened and ready to give up. I mean, is it really high school if you don't have that ridiculous angst?

With the musical, AP classes, National Honor Society, confirmation and the various other commitments, I was just waiting for my head to explode at any moment in time. I would get stressed out so easily, and my anger was mostly released on you, Mom. I can't apologize enough for the way that I let it all get the best of me. You were there every night with dinner and a warm hug, even when I wasn't grateful enough to accept it. Thank you. Thank you for being the best mom that a girl could ever ask for. Even when I truly didn't deserve your love and kindness, you provided it, no questions asked. Thank you.

When my knee injuries really gained prominence in my life and were affecting me not only physically but also emotionally, you never faltered in your love and care for me. I was in so much pain trying to also navigate being away from home for the first time and starting a brand new chapter of my life, and you never stopped supporting my dreams of music. You helped me believe that there was a light at the end of the tunnel of my pain—because you knew there was. Somehow you both could see above the pain I was feeling and could recognize the end of it all. I can't thank you enough for continuing to be my light. Without that light I don't know where I would be today. There were plenty of times that I just wanted to give up on my dreams and forget the whole thing, but you both wouldn't let me.

I remember calling you both into my room over Christmas break freshman year to talk about how nothing had been done with my knees, and how there was no end in sight for me. I tried to form words but eventually started crying and explained that I was terrified that I would never dance again. You sat there and held me for who knows how long, and took control of the entire situation. From that point forward there was an end. You were both the light at the end of that long and winding tunnel.

I can't thank you enough for being my everything - both of you. Know that every moment that I wake up and can walk around with little to no pain, and don't have to worry about the problems in my life, is because of your support. You have given me all of the tools to succeed, and never stop pushing me towards greatness. Know that I love you with all of my heart, and I will do my very best to make you proud.