How 'Legend Of Korra' Helped My Mental Health

A kids show helped me for the better.
372

*Please note that this article does contain spoilers for "Legend of Korra."*

Unlike "Avatar: The Last Airbender," "The Legend of Korra" is made for a mature audience. Korra, being older than Aang, struggles with betrayal, tough decisions, changing the spiritual and physical world and later torture and PTSD near the end of the series. Korra’s struggle with her mental health has helped me through my own depression and traumas.

When I first watched the fourth book of the series, it was soon after something very traumatic happened to me. I had a very unhealthy relationship with a family member, and this event made me realize the severity of the issue. The event happened less than two months before the premiere of the fourth book. I kept this issue a secret for months. It was soon after the premier of the fourth book that I decided to tell one of my closest friends. Then, after another five months had passed I decided to tell my parents.

This series has helped me by making me realize that it is okay to get help. I have struggled with depression for years even before the event and have gotten help for it. But even then I still felt very frustrated that I was still struggling with the depression, plus the burden that I was carrying on top of it. I was frustrated with myself and felt weak and stupid. Seeing Korra struggle with her PTSD and physical injuries made me realize that it is okay to still be struggling. I’ve always seen Korra as being strong and confident, and it was helpful to see her struggling to get back with her former self, as was I.

One of the most helpful moments was when Toph was helping Korra through healing. Even though Toph may have been tough about it, she helped Korra and I realize that we need to face our fears and that we need to get through the current enemy before we move on to the next. After thinking about this for a while, I realize that she is telling me that I have to take care of my own struggles before I can move on to the next.

I am still struggling with my depression and other mental health issues, but now I am working on them rather than avoiding them. "The Legend of Korra" helped me realize this, and that I can't just ignore the situation. I am doing a whole lot better now than I have been in the past few years. I don't know if I'll ever really completely heal from the event or even my depression, but I do know that I can't let that stop me from moving forward.