How Joseph Gordon-Levitt Saved The Internet's Soul

America's sweetheart created a website called HitRecord that brings people together to make art and it's incredible.

11

The Internet is constantly cited and a big contributor to bad news that occurs everyday. Whether it be cyber bullying, online hackers or digital identity theft, it all stems from the evil Internet. All these things are real concerns. They are an effect of having this technology, but it is not the Internet that creates them. As usual, it is people misusing an invention that was not meant to harm people, but to connect them. But when everyone thought all hope was lost, the white knight, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, rolled in and saved the day.

How did this already amazing human accomplish such a feat? With a simple website called HitRecord.org. The website is one where anyone can create a profile and share their work. Whether it be music, words, pictures, paintings, or any other medium they work with, they can now share it and collaborate with other users of the website. This isn't Tumblr where people seek attention for their woes by posting serious photos with intense captions, rather it is a place for people to be creative. Not to mention there are tons of videos of Joseph prompting essays, videos and art that he wants to create. Collaborating with Joseph is the highlight, but there is so much more to it.

Joseph created the site with his brother in the early 2000s and the seed was planted. Over the course of the website's life, Joseph and the thousands of users have created records, books, movies, a TV show (that you can now watch on Netflix), short films and cartoons, to name a few of their accomplishments. The proceeds from these creations of course go to the website and its functions, but that is not where it stops. HitREcord pays each and every one of the artists that contribute to the projects. Whether it be a line in a song or a picture in a film, Joseph is sure to recognize and pay each and every person. If there was an opposite to online bullying and fraud, I think we have found it. I must warn you, other celebrities have joined the team and there are some things you must see. A musical number by Tony Danza and Joseph is just one of the many amazing things that awaits audience members.

The community on the site is one that is open to all types of creativity and lines of questioning. It is not a competition to make the best of the best, but instead just people trying to make something beautiful. If you aren't creative you can still be a part of the website. Whether it be as an audience member to the art or someone who edits the final project, everyone is allowed to put in their two cents.

People have souls. Songs can have soul. You can even sing with soul, but the Internet seems devoid of this integral characteristic. With its art and sense of community, HitREcord has allowed the Internet to begin to do something good rather than be the root of the evil on the news. It's something that has heart, not just the too-creative, trying really hard to be deep art. It's people using the Internet the way it was supposed to be used. To learn and connect. So thanks, Joseph.