How Joining A Sorority Saved Me

How Joining A Sorority Saved Me

To the ladies of Theta Psi, this goes out to you.

9
How Joining A Sorority Saved Me
Rachel Kalinovik

My freshman year of college was hell. I felt extremely alone as I once again tried to make friends with people I had never met before. Although I eventually made friends and had a group of people to relate to, I still felt incredibly lost. I was two hours away from home, which although doesn't sound like that much, it was extremely hard for me to be that far away from my home base. I was miserable in my major, not doing well in classes that I needed for grad school, and I felt like a failure. I had never done poorly in school before, and college had been quite the slap in the face.

As I tried to get involved in groups on campus that I felt I could relate to, none of them seemed to click. The people I met were fine, but I still felt as if I didn't really have a place to identify myself with. This was really hard for me as my routine became a constant "get up, go to class, do homework, and go to bed" and I felt incredibly depressed. I constantly called home crying, telling my parents I no longer wanted to be at school, and wishing I could escape. It was then that I decided to go through sorority recruitment.

I saw the love and connections that were formed through Greek life and I thought that by being a part of that I might feel like I had a save haven again, and I was more than right. From the day I joined Phi Sigma Sigma, the ladies of Theta Psi have given me a home away from home. As I ran into their arms on bid day, the feeling of love as they embraced me was so real. These people who barely even knew me loved me and wanted me to be a part of something so important to them, and that was incredible to me.

Every day since I have joined this sorority my sisters have given me the best gift I could have ever asked for: their friendship. They accept me for every flaw I have, they support me in every decision I make, and they love me when I'm feeling alone. The coffee runs, the late night talks, the strange things we do together with no judgement, the group naps, and the immense amount of love we all have for each other helped me overcome my freshman slump.

So all I have to say to you, the ladies of Theta Psi, is I love you. Thank you for being the hand to hold when I cry. Thank you for making me smile when all I want to do is frown. Thank you for the random surprises and the little notes just letting me know you care. Thank you for always making sure I've eaten on days when I'm so busy I could go insane. Thank you for the laughter, the tears, and the best times of my life.

You ladies have made such an impact on me, and I will never be able to thank you for all you have done for me. You all are a blessing from above, and your love has saved me from myself. I never doubt that I belong in this group, and I can happily say that I found my home away from home in my sisters' arms. Once a Phi Sigma Sigma, always a Phi Sigma Sigma.