How Game Days Go When You're Not A Huge Football Fan

Pretty much eating buffalo chicken and trying not to sweat.

19
wikipedia.org

If you're like me, football isn't the greatest thing ever. It may be fun (in theory) to spend a day with your friends and show some school spirit, but when it comes down to it, this day is nothing but miserable. It's hot outside, you've most likely been drinking to combat the awfulness that is the weather, and everyone is too amped about something you just don't understand. From start to finish, you somewhat dread what comes ahead, but know you'll get some serious #fomo (fear of missing out) if an iconic play goes down (RIP to those who missed the 2013 Iron Bowl) at the game you're only semi-psyched for. If you're heading out on your next home game, here's how the day probably looked for some of the less enthusiastic students:

If your friends are dedicated, your day starts real early.

This is the worst part of the day. This is where you officially decide to stay at home or be a functioning part of your school's infinite spirit, in the heat, drinking, and most certainly confused for a total of 4 hours while the game commences. This moment of rolling out of bed or hitting the snooze button will decide your fate for the day. Choose wisely.

The struggle to find your game day outfit is very real.

If you're not a huge football fan, you won't feel the need to spend your money on clothes that reflect your school's colors. This will leave you in a panic when all your friends dress up really cute for the game, while all you have is a t-shirt. Which is fine. You can just stand in the back for squad pics.

You do, however, enjoy the perks of tailgating.

Tailgating is actually really fun. Even if your friends don't have a particular place to be, going around campus and seeing all the people rocking some school spirit, being with their families, and being genuinely happy, is a real moment of pride. You may not totally understand the importance of the game, but seeing your community come together, cooking good food, and strengthening their relationships, makes you feel like you're a part of something much bigger. Def one of the best parts.

Like, every perk.

Alright, so all the lovey-dovey, "community coming together," stuff is definitely great. But, buffalo chicken definitely has a hold on me. If you know someone that has an actual tailgate and is willing to share food, take advantage. Chips, beer, buffalo chicken, burgers, queso, hot dogs, buffalo chicken, guacamole, barbecue, and oh yeah, buffalo chicken, are most likely all present at that party. You know the who real MVP's of the day are: the moms that bring that glorious array of game day food that will put you in a food coma for days. But, you gotta tough it out. What's game day food without the game?

At one point, you will actually hate yourself for leaving your home.

Gamedays are crazy: the fans are intense, you can't drive anywhere, and it's most likely hot as balls outside. This may leave you asking yourself: "Why did I leave my home today?" Could I be napping right now?" And, "is anyone else sweating as much as me?" The answer to that last question is yes: swamp ass is real and we will all have it during at least some point during the day. No doubt. Stick it out, this rough patch won't last and you'll be on your way to the stadium soon.

But you also don't want to miss out on the one play everyone will be talking about forever.

If you don't normally watch football, you could miss out on the biggest moment of your school's year by not going to the game. When I was a freshman, I was so blessed that I attended the 2013 Iron Bowl. Everyone is still talking about, "The Kick Six," and I wouldn't have had a clue what they were talking about if I didn't go. Praise God for being in the loop!

Let's face it, at the games, you just kinda hang out while your friends fill you in on the game.

Yep, you're the annoying one. Eventually, you'll start to grasp what football really is and how it goes, which his great. But for some of the freshmen just starting out, it's confusing, boring, and pretty much a waste of your time. There are so many things you could be doing right now but you really wanted to hang out with your friends. Sometimes you just gotta make that compromise...even if it means asking everyone around you what just happened and what that means exactly.

Even though they probably assume you hate every second of it.

And you pretty much do. After a long day of tailgating, all you want is a shower and a nap. You'll get there eventually, but for now your friends will use you as the snack wench. You don't like being at this game more than they like going hungry. It also gives them a break from having to explain the game to you, which as mentioned above, is hella annoying.

And don't even think about lying because you know it's true: you live for the halftime show

It's the one part of the game, except for when you comment about how cute your mascot is (AKA Aubie in all his adorable glory), that everyone can understand together and be on the same page. It's exciting, fun and sometimes roaringly different from the other school's marching band. This is your time to shine (and to sit), don't waste it.

Lastly, the final moments of the game bring absolute joy to you

You made it. You've successfuly survived the longest day of your life and will now be free any second. You can go home, go to bed and sleep off the fatigue that is a game day. Or if your friends want to go out, you could turn up and celebrate you and your hard work of getting through the day. The choice is yours, and with many game days to come, you'll have many more chances of reliving this fully exhausting day.