How Everyone Can Save 8 Lives In 3 Seconds

What does that little heart on your ID really mean?

5

Becoming a organ donor is so simple and easy to do, yet 55% of Americans are not registered organ donors. Something needs to be done about this. Twenty-one people die every single day waiting for an organ donor and a transplant. So why are so many people choosing to say no to becoming an organ donor after life? Some simply don't know what it means, and some don't have their facts right. Lets debunk some of the issues and myths.

People want to have open casket funerals for their loved ones to see them, and donating an organ would not make this possible.

FALSE. The organ donor's body is covered with clothing, and there is no sign that the corpse was a donor. There is no reason you cannot have a open casket funeral.

People do not wish to leave the burden of the cost of a transplant on their loved ones after they pass, for it is very pricey.

FALSE. Any cost related to organ donation are fully covered. It won't cost them a penny.

People don't want to become organ donors because if a doctor is trying to save their life, they won't try as hard knowing they are an organ donor.

FALSE. Neither Doctors nor nurses have access to the registry. Just because you are a donor does not impact the medical treatment you will receive. Doctors will give 110% to save you.

At this point, what's holding you back? 21 people die everyday waiting for a donor. By becoming a registered organ donor, you can personally save 8 lives. You can also improve up to 50 lives with your tissue. So when you go to get your license renewed, think twice when they ask you: “Would you like to be an organ donor?”