How Dierks Bentley Is Taking A Stand For Girls Everywhere

And it's not just because he took our side in the breakup.

38

Whether you are a country fan or rap junkie there is no arguing that top hits are top hits. With big singles like “Come a Little Closer” and the newly adored “Somewhere on a Beach,” the name Dierks Bentley is one that has been tossed around top charts for years and likely one to have been spoken among most families in the country due to his knack for making good music. This past May, the country singer dropped a new album titled Black that is on the right track for following the successful footsteps of the artist’s other records. Critics are calling this album the best look at the emotions that make up Bentley and the way he connects to his songs.

The second track on the album is one that I specifically expect to be at the top of the leaderboards very soon. The melody titled “Different for Girls” featuring the amazing voice of alternative artist Elle King tenderly describes the ways that girls can’t handle a breakup like their boy counterparts. With lyrics that will no doubt have girls around the nation using the hashtags “preach” and “truth” and “I can’t even” it is sure to be one of the best breakup ballads of all time. I’ll go as far to say that it might even surpass some of T. Swift’s work in terms of the accuracy to which it relates to a girl’s feelings. To give you a taste of what I’m talking about, and some inspiration to give the song a listen, here are a few of the stunning lyrics:

“It's different for girls when their hearts get broke. They can't tape it back together with a whiskey and coke. They don't take someone home and act like it's nothing. They can't just switch it off every time they feel something.”

“She don't say, It's OK, I never loved him anyway. She don't scroll through her phone just looking for a Band-Aid”

“It's different for girls. Nobody said it was fair. When love disappears, they can't pretend it was never there”

“A guy gets drunk with his friends and he might hook up. Fast forward through the pain, pushing back when the tears come up, but it's different for girls”

While Dierks has not only almost perfectly pegged the college hookup culture that girls often find themselves victims of, he, in my opinion, has pointed out a far more relevant issue.

It’s different for girls.

Life is different for girls. Relationships are different for girls. Love is different for girls. Girls are different, and it is OK. In no way does Bentley mock the fragility of women. He doesn't sarcastically pity them or blame them for their tenderness. He admits with the most earnest, and honest tone there is that it’s different for girls. I think today more than ever there is such a push for girls to stop acting like girls. We often find ourselves unintentionally, and sometimes purposely, shamed for our desire to be womanly; and yes, I am somewhat looking at you feminism. It is almost a sin in this culture to be a girl and not be a feminist, but I have got to say it. The truth is, as much as we rally and campaign and advocate to be equal to men, we never will be because we aren’t. Does that mean we are beneath them? No. Does that mean we deserve less hourly pay? No. It means that we aren’t men, and that it’s OK because we are so much more than that.

We are women and I think sometimes we discriminate ourselves more so than a man ever could. I think sometimes we’re the only ones focusing on the differences between us because we’re the only ones that haven’t been able to see them as empowering. I think sometimes we forget that we weren’t made to do everything a man can, but instead to do everything he couldn't. I think we forget that men ignore and oppress us because they know all too well our power; and instead of taking hold of our abilities we sit and waste our energy arguing with them about our rights and proving that we are just as easy to distract as they envisioned. I think in pointing out all these problems we’ve admitted that we might just be a small fraction of it ourselves. I think we should embrace our differences and own them. I think we should stop trying to beat “the man” and be “the woman.”

So thank you Dierks Bentley, for reminding me that I am different and for instilling in me a new sense of pride for that difference and all of those “I thinks” from above, because I am thankful to be a girl. I’m thankful I can’t separate my emotions from my political views because it means I am empathetic. I’m thankful that sometimes I cry at the thought of war and death, even if it’s for the protection of a nation, because it means that I am compassionate. I’m thankful that I may be indecisive because it means I am considerate. I’m thankful for all of the fundamentally different characteristics that make my personality different from that of a man because I am a woman; and I am sick of gender roles and stereotypes making that a bad thing.

I am proud to be a girl, and even at my weakest I am no weaker than anyone else on this planet. We are different because we are unique. We are different because we were made for different tasks. We are different because we were designed to be the most beautiful divergence known to man. It is different for girls, because it should be and I am so glad that someone else understands.