How College Was Different Than My Expectations

I can't wait to see this journey continue for the rest of the years to come.

5
Kagavi

Ever since I was a little girl, I could not wait to go to college. I began counting down the years when I was nine-years-old. Each year on my birthday I would always tell my parents how many years until I was eighteen. Now I absolutely love my family, but the idea of going to college is something that I have envisioned for a really long time. I was also that really lucky girl who as soon as I stepped foot on campus, I knew that Simpson was the right place for me. I could not wait until I was on campus and was thrilled when move in day came. The problem was I had pictured exactly how I thought freshman year would be and so far in the time I have been at Simpson some things have been different than what I expected.

I did not expect to make as many friends very fast and figured that it might take a little bit of time. I came from a smaller town where I knew mostly everybody and had grown up with them all. Some of the kids I had known since I was born. In the first few days at Simpson, I was able to meet some amazing people. I felt like I had known the people I had met for years and not just a mere few days. The friendships I have made so far and I am continuing to make are ones that I know I will keep for a long time. One thing that I had always assumed since I was little was that in college you had to compromise your beliefs and values in order to fit in with everyone. While I know that this may seem a little crazy, I was honestly was terrified that I wouldn't find anybody who believed the same things I did. I found out that this was wrong and there are people who believe the same things I do, but there are also some who do not. And that is okay. met a variety of people so far and not a single one of them has told me that what I believe in is wrong and that I need to change my values.

I also never realized how much I would miss my family. I knew I would miss them, but not to the extent that I sometimes do. The transition to college is something that when saying out loud it sounds super easy. Once all the newness wears off is when it becomes hard. When I was not busy with welcome week is when I had time to realize how much I missed my family. Once I got acclimated, it became a lot easier. I still miss my family, but I love being on campus and participating in every that it has to offer. Being gone and away from home has given me a deeper appreciation for them more than ever before.

College has already exceeded my exceptions in so many different ways and has been different than I expected it to be. I honestly cannot wait to see this continue to happen for the rest of this year and the years to come.