How College Has Changed Me (So Far)

How College Has Changed Me (So Far)

Sometimes a change of scenery is all we need.

15
How College Has Changed Me (So Far)
US News & World Report

This is going to sound cheesy, but do you ever feel like you’re watching yourself trapped in a snow globe, watching life go on around you? Lost like Dorothy in Oz?

I’d say I feel that way most of the time. I just finished my freshman year of college, and I’m as dazed and confused as I’ve ever been. Yet I feel that this may be exactly what I need.

My life in high school was very structured and fast-paced. I might even say it was easy. Most days I went to school, then to practice for whatever sport I was playing at the time. Then I went home, showered, ate dinner, and either hung out with family or went to work on homework. I didn’t struggle with school (most of the time); I was perfectly content with my same old friends and my different activities keeping me productive.

Come graduation, I was nervous -- nervous for whatever awaited me next. Nervous about change. But as the time crept closer to leave for college, I felt a little bit of excitement beginning to well up inside me. I was anticipating freedom.

Well, I’ve come to learn that freedom is scary. Being independent is a process, and one that I haven’t completed yet, not by a long shot. I’m sure there aren’t many of us who have.

I went from being confident to clueless. Being major-less my first semester did not help. I struggled through General Chemistry 1 and attempted to make friends. It has been a difficult task to fill the big shoes of my few best friends from high school. I have only found a few that even come close. It's hard for me to open up to new people, and I still don’t try to as much as I should.

Another thing I don’t do enough is spend time with God. I know everyone says that, but I also know for me it is a daily struggle. It doesn’t come to my mind very easily, and I don’t want it to become a routine that I do without thinking either. Giving everything to Him and trusting Him with your life and path is hard. It is extremely hard for someone like me who usually thinks I can do well for myself on my own, only to be proven wrong time and time again.

Bottom line is we all could use some help, and that help can come from only one source.

My structured, sheltered high school life will never be a reality for me again. I can’t go home every day and relax with no worries because I have to be an adult now. Mom and Dad can’t take care of everything. For me, they’re 20 hours away by car (which I lack anyway). Sure, they’re only a text or call away, but it isn’t the same as being in their company, where I’m able to unwind and know everything will be okay.

In the words of Bowling For Soup, "I guess this is growing up."

Most of the time I have a hard time coping. It’s hard not to feel insignificant once in a while. It’s hard not knowing where you’ll be in a few years and who will still want to be a part of your life by then.

But that’s life. And sometimes you just need a little reassurance. I find that in the form of Psalm 3:5-6:

"Trust in the Lord and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight."

I know a lot of you are very familiar with that verse, and that’s a good thing. It couldn’t be more true. And sometimes all you will have to trust in is God.

College is a time of transition, and a very tough one at that. It will be hectic and crazy and stressful. In this time of reflection, and knowing that when you get to read this I will probably be curled up on the couch with my dog, I just wanted to share my thoughts in hopes that some of you may have been experiencing similar ones. Not so that you can empathize with my recent discouragements, but to assure you that it will be OK. It’s normal to be overwhelmed, and it will pass. Life will go on with all its ups and downs. Just know that as long as you have your God, you will be OK.