How I Became Apart Of A Sorority

How I Became Apart Of A Sorority

How I became apart of a sorority and gained over 100 sisters in one week.

21
How I Became Apart Of A Sorority
Alpha Gamma Delta at ISU

As school starts, everyone is gaining so many different friends. Recently, I had the guts to join a sorority. How could I though? I am a junior in a college rushing eleven different sororities. Is it even worth it? All I know was that I wanted to gain some new friends and do something different on campus other than join a couple clubs and a team. Throughout the week-long process that everyone claimed as "hell week," I learned a lot of things about myself. In the end, as cliche as it sounds, I found my home.

When I got to school, I was bombarded with all the things I had to sign up for. I wanted to join a sports team and I had to join two clubs that affiliated with my future profession. I was already overwhelmed. I saw many girls wearing their letters to class, and immediately I knew that I had to be that girl that could wear their letters proud on campus. I talked to those girls in my class and they told me how to sign up. I did it that night. I was very skeptical about it with all the stereotypes of sorority girls, but I was willing to put those to rest.

I showed up to welcome rounds not knowing a soul. I spent countless hours trying to find the perfect outfit, because maybe I was meeting my future sisters today. I met my Rho Gamma, and she was awesome! I met the girls at my table, and we were all equally nervous. We had a million questions that my Rho Gamma didn't know how to answer. We waited two long agonizing hours until we finally started going to welcome rounds. I had the same conversation three times at each house. I had to talk so loud because there were also 149 other girls having the same three conversations. As each conversation dragged on, I kept thinking to myself "I cannot do this EVER again!', "What am I getting myself into?"

But, as each day went on, I knew that I was doing the right thing. I would learn about the amazing philanthropies, all of the exciting sisterhood activities, and the inseparable bond that they each have with one another. As exciting as everything was, I caught this awful sinus infection. It just so happened to be the thirteen hour day of touring houses. I was excited to be there and learning about my future sisters, but I just wanted to go home. So many girls were crying because they weren't getting the houses they wanted; I was crying because I couldn't say one sentence without coughing three times or blowing my nose twice. All I could think of was, Is this really worth it?"

I didn't even know if fighting through this sickness and putting on a giant smile was worth it anymore. I already managed to make through over 75 percent of the week, I knew I could finish out the week.

It finally came to the last day, preference round. It was down to two different houses, and my nerves were high. I didn't know if they would truly like me, but they must've liked me so much, because I was asked back everyday. I walked through the houses, and I got to see part of their rituals, and there was one house where I thought to myself "this is it, I will be sisters with these girls in my room." They kept talking about the red door and how the red door had so much meaning to them; I wanted the red door to be my red door.

It was bid day, and I couldn't focus through my classes. I wanted to know if I was going to be apart of the house I always wanted. I showed up all nerves and feeling as if I was going to pee my pants the entire hour that I waited for my envelope to be opened.

The time finally came, and I opened the envelope. I couldn't believe it! All I could do was scream and cry tears of joy. I ran to find my other fellow sisters, and all we could do was hug one another. I had no idea the names of the other 57 girls; I just wanted to hug them so long until we finally ended up at the house. We walked into the ballroom, and all I could see was the other members cheering us on and singing our song loud and proud. I couldn't feel more proud of myself.

We were taken back to the house, so I could meet the rest of my sisters. We took a million pictures, and I found my rose sister. She just so happened to be the girl that I talked to during many of the rounds before. Little did I know back then that she was the reason that I became a part of this sorority. All night long, I couldn't stop smiling. I was so happy to be welcomed into a family that was so accepting and where I fit in the most. They were goofy, and fun, and every bit like me.

Everyone said that rush week would be the worst week of my life. I literally gave blood, sweat, and tears into this week, but you know what, it was all worth it in the end. My love for my sisters, whether I know their name or not, is unfathomable. I couldn't be more excited to be in a sisterhood of girls that I can feel comfortable with and be myself in. As cliche as it sounds, I am proud to have found my home.