Add These Album And Single Releases From March To Playlist Stat

The hottest music of March.

21
Billboard

March has been a vital month for the music industry, with several album releases that have taken over charts worldwide. Ranging from hip hop to indie rock and everything in between, artists such as Ed Sheeran and Lorde have revitalized our ears with long overdue new singles and album releases. As an immense music junkie primarily listening to hip hop and contemporary R&B, I've taken the time to listen to several different releases within each genre to construct a well-educated opinion on what I believe deserves your attention.

"Green Light" - Lorde, March 2

Lorde's comeback single, "Green Light,"has put her at the top of charts all around the world. Her individual and defined style combined with her consistency is what sets her apart from other artists in the pop/indie-pop genre. "Green Light," apparently a breakup song, is proof that Lorde's songwriting abilities are her strongest asset.

"Divide" - Ed Sheeran, March 3

Ed Sheeran's third album, "Divide," is comprised of 11 tracks that showcase his impressive range and distinctive voice. Personally, I found a couple tracks more diverse than his normal pop rock/contemporary folk tone. Though I wouldn't listen to this album on repeat, a few of his tracks are undeniably catchy.

"World Eater" - Blanck Mass, March 3

Normally a genre I don't pay a large majority of my attention to, Blanck Mass has found his way to the electronic/drone, experimental music charts with the release of his new album, "World Eater." "World Eater" has underlying anger and violence theme throughout the entire album as a response to the concept that the human race is constantly consuming itself. Although I don't particularly listen to Blanck Mass, I appreciate his theme and efforts in demonstrating his beliefs through his music.

"Chanel" - Frank Ocean, March 10

Frank Ocean has been one of my favorite contemporary R&B artists since the release of his first album, "Nostalgia, Ultra," in 2011. After the release of his second album, "Channel Orange," in 2012, Frank quickly became a favorite and fans became impatient as it took him four years to release another album. After releasing "Blond / Endless" in 2016, I was so eager for him to continue releasing new tracks/albums. Just when the hype of Blond / Endless began to fade, he dropped Chanel, a self-released single that has been noted as "transcendent." Frank has a way of channeling empathy in his music and connecting emotional and experiential dots. I am guilty of overplaying Chanel but I truly have no regrets.

"At What Cost" - GoldLink, March 10

D’Anthony Carlos, also known as his stage name, GoldLink, is an American rapper that brings an immense amount of R&B and soul to his music. It wasn't until his signing with RCA Records in 2016 and the release of his single "Fall in Love" that I started listening to him. The recent release of "At What Cost," his newest album, emphasizes his strong sense of respect from the city that raised him (Washington D.C.). "At What Cost" is a project of self-discovery that reflects his home environment. GoldLink is rapidly growing and I wouldn't be surprised if his name becomes big within the next year or two.

"Youth Hunt" - The Homesick, March 10

When I'm not feeling my hip hop/rap selection of music, I find myself enjoying the alternative/indie genre with artists such as The Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, or Bon Iver. I recently dipped my toes into The Homesick, a band originally from the Netherlands. The trio is known as a portfolio trio of small town hicks that are making outsider music, according to Drowned in Sound. I personally believe that the band has potential to take over U.S. charts, and the release of "Youth Hunt" is one step closer to achieving that. I can confidently say that their music is weird in that it is something like I've never heard before. However, the music industry needs those types of bands to keep us on the edge of our seats.

"More Life" - Drake, March 16

Quite possibly my favorite album to be released in 2017 yet, "More Life" is one of Drake's five studio albums. The Canadian rapper also has released one extended play, four mixtapes, 77 singles, seven promotional singles, and 36 music videos. As of March 29th, the album will spend its second full week at number one on Billboard 200 albums. It's estimated to earn between 230,000 and 250,000 equivalent album units in the week ending March 30, which would easily keep the effort atop the tally. "More Life" showcases Drake's appreciation for the UK’s grime scene and South African house, among others. With features from Young Thug, Sampha, Giggs, and more, the album has a balance between more mellow, contemplative, sad-boy tracks and stoic bangers. I can agree with many that Drake shows a lot more range in "More Life" as opposed to his previous albums, "Views" (2016), "If You're Reading This It's Too Late" (2015), and "Take Care" (2011). Props to Drake for showing his depth and continuously developing range.

"Rather You Than Me" - Rick Ross, March 17

Arriving at number two on the Billboard Top R&B/Hip Hop Albums chart, Rick Ross' "Rather You Than Me" is earning 106,000 equivalent album units in the week ending March 23, according to Nielson Music. His newest single that was released a week before the album was "Trap Trap Trap" featuring Young Thug and Wales, earned Ross his 45th career hit. "Rather You Than Me’s" lead single, “I Think She Like Me,” featuring Ty Dolla $ign, simultaneously reaches a new peak over on the Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop airplay chart. Definitely one to check out if you're a hip hop guru.

"So Good" - Zara Larsson, March 17

The 19-year-old Swedish singer/songwriter has been on the rise in America in the past couple years. Originally at the top of Sweden's pop charts, Zara's newest release of "So Good," emphasizes her soulful electro-pop with a range of collaborating artists including Ty Dolla $ign, Wiz Kid, and Clean Bandit. Though I don't religiously listen to Zara's music, there were several songs on "So Good" that I unexpectedly listened to more than once!

"The Heart Part 4" - Kendrick Lamar, March 24

Another single that I could talk about for years, Kendrick Lamar's release of "The Heart Part 4," storms in at No. 1 on the Billboard + Twitter Top Tracks chart. Kendrick dropped this single with only one day's notice and has become his fourth leader on the Top Tracks chart. Billboard + Twitter Top Tracks is a weekly ranking of the most shared and/or mentioned songs on Twitter in the U.S., ranked by the volume of shares over a seven-day period (Monday to Sunday). "The Heart Part 4" ends with the line "y'all got 'til April the 7th to get y'all sh*t together," which is a suggested possible release date for his fourth studio album. This theory is conjured up by his past. He dropped "The Heart Part 3" in October 2012 and ended the track with "will you let hip hop die on October 22nd?" Lamar then released his debut studio album, "good kid, m.A.A.d city," on that date. Fingers crossed for all of our sakes that this theory is true.

"A Crow Looked at Me" - Mount Eerie, March 24

Mount Eerie is known for their more indie folk, avant-garde music that is a musical project of Washington-based songwriter and producer Phil Elverum. I sat down one day and listened to "A Crow Looked at Me" start to finish and was truly moved by the message Phil Elverum was sending through his music. In Spring of 2015, Phil's wife was diagnosed with pancreatic disease at the age of 34 and passed away the following year, leaving Phil alone with an infant daughter. His album was made as a remembrance for death of a loved one and conveyed many thoughtful and personal anecdotes.

"Slide" - Calvin Harris feat. Migos and Frank Ocean, February 21 (Okay, this wasn't March, but still one of my favorites)

I realize I am writing about March releases, but I can't just pretend that three of my favorite artists didn't just release a collab together. "Slide" was released in February, and I have yet to stop listening to it on repeat. Calvin Harris' electronic dance music combine with Migos' hip hop and Frank Ocean's R&B could not be more on point. Starting out with Calvin Harris' breezy California funk tone, the song could belong to any known pop artist. However, once Frank Ocean starts singing, it instantly adds some shade. Quavo and Offset, two-thirds of Migos, adapt to this more traditional pop showcase with ease. No doubt this single deserves the recognition it has recently received.