It's Hot And I Will Wear Whatever I Want

It's that time of year again y'all...the time to remind you to let people wear what they want.

83
sheknows.com

I wrote an article on this topic about this time last year. But I always deem it necessary to repeat what I firmly believe as the days get longer and the air gets hotter. As temperatures rise, some of us deem it necessary to wear less clothing on our bodies. Now, I'm not exactly suggesting we should all go around doing errands in our underwear (to each his/her own I suppose), but I am definitely suggesting we shouldn't have to stay in clothes that make us hot and uncomfortable for the sake of the comfort of the people around them. I want everyone to be able to wear whatever they want without fear of discrimination or harassment from others. If that means you want to wear a crop top and shorts all day, then do it. If it means you want to wear a hoodie and yoga pants, so be it. As long as you keep yourself safe and don't put anyone else in harms way (no clue how you could do so by your choice of clothing), be yourself.

Of course, there's the argument that some people of certain weights or physiques should not wear certain things. If you're chubby, don't be caught out in public with a bikini, a crop top, short shorts, or anything that hugs your body because no one wants to see that! Of course, that sentence was completely sarcastic, so I hope you understand that I think that argument is complete bull feces. As a fairly chubby young woman, I have worn all of the above and I can honestly say I do it without shame. If you're looking at my body or what I'm wearing so closely that it actually disgusts you, I have some news for you buddy. We as humans are magnificent creatures that have the ability to move our eye sockets in our heads! Don't look at me, then. Pass your harsh judgement on someone else, look at the scenery around you, read a book for goodness's sake! All I'm saying is you could be doing a lot more interesting things with your time than criticizing me.

I also have more news for the fashion police that come out of the woodwork in the summer months. There are more important things going on in this world than your projections of self-worth onto real human beings. We don't wake up in the morning and choose what to wear based on what we think strangers will think of us. I can't speak for other people, but I choose what to wear based on what I think will look good on me, what I feel comfortable in, and sometimes I just choose what to wear based on how aesthetically pleasing it is to me. Did you notice the words "you" or "other people" or "my boyfriend"? No? It's because what I choose to wear doesn't involve any of those people. And as long as I can dress myself it never will. So I hope you wear whatever makes your heart happy this summer, and learn to love yourself as well as others. And remember, just because someone else's fashion choices are none of your business, doesn't mean you can't compliment them. Words have the power to make or break someone's day. So stay cool out there.